• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a Suit

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a cheap, unstructured cotton blazer, and its made of good quality. The problem is that it is about 2 sizes too big. But it's 20 dollars from a friend.

It would need to be shortened and taken in. Does anybody know what this might cost in NYC?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. It's almost impossible to size down a jacket, let alone make it 2 sizes smaller. The tailor would have to open almost every seam, re-cut the jacket and sew it back together. Easier to get bespoke.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Don't do it. It's almost impossible to size down a jacket, let alone make it 2 sizes smaller. The tailor would have to open almost every seam, re-cut the jacket and sew it back together. Easier to get bespoke.

It's not actually more like one annoying size. I don't have the money for bespoke? This will cost me 20 dollars and is made by a very lovely new york company we know. I just want to know if these alterations are possible and how much they will cost.

Any help. Its a sort of emergency, as i have less than an hour to decide.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
don't. do. it.

bad. idea.

emptym

Reaction score
I hope you didn't do it. Also, friends don't let friends buy too big blazers. If it's really a size or two too big, it'll cost over $100 to have it altered to fit, if it could be altered to fit. With $120 you could get something better at Daffys, Century 21, etc. Chances are that if you buy this blazer, you won't have saved money, you'll have spent $20-120 on something you'll regret having bought. Also, the crotch of pants can't be raised afaik, but the waistband can be lowered. If you do this though, the rear pockets would be much higher and the side pockets would be shortened. Or you'd need to get the pockets lowered, which would cost a lot of money. The only alterations worth it to me are slimming legs and shortening hems. I'd advise you to be patient. Something better will come along.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
It is possible if it fits on the shoulders - taking in the waist (and back) is simple. I dont know if it worths.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
an awful lot of hours would be involved. new york is among the highest priced areas.
even if the jacket is free still not worth it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a disaster waituing to hapen. Forget it. Simply because something has a cheap headline price then it does not make it good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads