• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a suit jacket too tight to button, for the sake of a better silhouette while un-buttoned?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Title basically says it all. An employee at a Suit Supply told me that some of his clients request that their suit jacket be tailored so tight that it is nearly impossible for them to button it, in order to get a better silhouette when un-buttoned.

Has anyone ever heard of this practice? Honestly, the idea sounds intriguing to me. I rarely button my suit jackets, so I don't mind losing that option for a better un-buttoned silhouette.

Any reason to steer clear of this practice?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really ‘do’ Instagram but I’ve seen some ‘igents’ posing for pics on there that appear like they’d be almost cut in half if they buttoned their jackets.

In almost every case jackets look best buttoned. That’s the way they are cut. If you think unbuttoned jackets look good may I refer you to Trump, J as evidence to the contrary.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The premise that an unbuttoned jacket creates a better silhouette is false. This is directed to suit supply not the op. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on SF

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I read an article about secrets to getting a taxi in New York. Several doormen and concierges shared their secret "insider" tips. One of the tips said to stand outside and flap your arms like a bird, which signaled that the passenger was going to an airport.

The suit advice you received strikes me as similar — bored people messing with the general population to see just how far it can go.

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
The premise that an unbuttoned jacket creates a better silhouette is false. This is directed to suit supply not the op. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on SF

That's not what I said, nor did the employee at Suit Supply say that.

What he said was that some customers notice that they don't normally button their jacket, so they prefer to tailor their jacket in a way that optimizes their silhouette while unbuttoned, which comes at the cost of being unable to button the jacket at all.

I am a lawyer in midtown Manhattan. I see hundreds of lawyers in court every single day. 95% walk around with unbuttoned suit jackets. Same goes for men of other professions I see in suits on the street daily.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something to consider is that change to a jacket are rarely done in isolation. In other words, taking in a jacket at the waist to this degree may require compromises elsewhere. You will want to understand what changes will occur and whether you are ok with them before going down this path.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Title basically says it all. An employee at a Suit Supply told me that some of his clients request that their suit jacket be tailored so tight that it is nearly impossible for them to button it, in order to get a better silhouette when un-buttoned.

Has anyone ever heard of this practice? Honestly, the idea sounds intriguing to me. I rarely button my suit jackets, so I don't mind losing that option for a better un-buttoned silhouette.

Any reason to steer clear of this practice?
That's not what I said, nor did the employee at Suit Supply say that.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always take what an international chain SA says with a grain of salt.

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score

@Despos ... If you're under the impression that you spotted a contradiction, you need to read the quoted text again.

Perhaps I could have been clearer...but there is no contradiction.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please clarify or state the point you are making so I will understand

Joefitz

Reaction score
The truth is most men do not button their suits. The problem with suitsupply is that they make everything too tight. I cannot wear any of their suits as they don't fit my arms or backside. I'm no bodybuilder, but I do work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads