Tailoring a Silk Tuxedo NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demo5, Jun 30, 2006.

1. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I recently purchased silk with the intention of having a tuxedo made. I was going to go to Ned, but I have been advised by someone quite knowledgeable that this is probably out of Ned's range, given that the construction with silk will need to involve more hand tailoring than Ned does. On the other hand, I do not want to spend more than ~$1,000 getting this tailored, and I am at a loss to figure out anyone else who is competant to work with silk and who is around this price point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I recently purchased silk with the intention of having a tuxedo made. I was going to go to Ned, but I have been advised by someone quite knowledgeable that this is probably out of Ned's range, given that the construction with silk will need to involve more hand tailoring than Ned does. On the other hand, I do not want to spend more than ~$1,000 getting this tailored, and I am at a loss to figure out anyone else who is competant to work with silk and who is around this price point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Why wouldn't you just take the fabric to Ned and ask him? I wouldn't think he'd be so unprofessional as to tell you he could work with it if he wasn't sure he could.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

LS will use outside goods, they offer MTM by H. Freeman for well under 1k, may even include a vest.

4. Ed355

Ed355 Senior member

The problem with silk, I understand, is that if you undo the stitches, you still get holes. For wool, you can (kind of) steam the holes off.

5. stach

stach Senior member

It depends on the silk.

6. demo5

demo5 Senior member

With this silk, I think that if any errors are made the fabric will be ruined.