• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

runes

Reaction score
i receieved a peacoat as a gift, it's quite nice, but it's a bit big. time/situation worked out so i couldn't exchange it.

i know there's a serious difference between tailoring a fairly thick, relatively complicated jacket... and a shirt.

so can i hope for the jacket to go from a bit bulky (tents a bit, but the shoulders are in the right place and it's cut right for me) to having more shape and more fitted?

or am i **** out of lucl?

runes

Reaction score
clearly, i'm gonna try to find a pro tailor and not risk buggering it myself.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- Post pictures.
- introduce yourself
- fill in your profile
- don't answer on your own post!

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just a coat. Take it to a tailor and then will be able to take in the sides and possibly back of the jacket (depending on the seaming). If the jacket is too big in the shoulders (meaning the seam where the sleeve and shoulder meet) extends past your natural shoulder you may be out of luck. Making the shoulders narrower on a structured garmet like a suit jacket or overcoat is an expensive, complex job for a tailor and usually the results aren't that great.

Post pics and other members will be able to give you advice on fit.

runes

Reaction score
haha, i'm sorry, i wasn't aware protocol was quite so important

hi i'm tim and i'm a poor student who likes tea cozies shaped like houses and candles that smell like baked goods. i live in a shithole university town with no real clothing options. i went go go buy some batteries for my camera today but the dollar store was closed so i got a rather unsatisfying hot chocolate and bought some cheap jeans on sale from the boutique-y store in town; where i subsequently went to find a new winter jacket but they had nothing smaller than a M. I did however, almost buy some kenneth cole pants but i figured i'd way until tomorrow when i get paid. i work in a restaurant.

crpz32

Reaction score
I have this J Crew University jacket with thinsulate (size M) I purchased about 5 years ago. Since then, I realized the shoulder are WAY too wide on me (I wear 36-38S suit jackets, with shoulder to shoulder measurements of 18 inches). I measured the shoulder to shoulder on this coat and it was a whopping 20 inches. I thought about buying a new one, but did not want to risk getting the wrong size again via mail order (I read somewhere that size small of the current model has 17" shoulders...and I live in Germany) so I just took it to my tailor.

He is going to cut some excess fabric from the center back, resulting in a narrower shoulder. He is also going to slim it down a bit, so it looks less like a tent. I'll let you know how it went when I pick it up on Thursday. i was quoted 60 euros.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runes
haha, i'm sorry, i wasn't aware protocol was quite so important

hi i'm tim and i'm a poor student who likes tea cozies shaped like houses and candles that smell like baked goods. i live in a shithole university town with no real clothing options. i went go go buy some batteries for my camera today but the dollar store was closed so i got a rather unsatisfying hot chocolate and bought some cheap jeans on sale from the boutique-y store in town; where i subsequently went to find a new winter jacket but they had nothing smaller than a M. I did however, almost buy some kenneth cole pants but i figured i'd way until tomorrow when i get paid. i work in a restaurant.

Hello Tim,

and welcome.

There are always options. If not it is your job to make it happen without that big bunch of options.

We are all poor/ limited in a way. And even if we have all money of the world we couldn't buy style.

Here are a million of information. Before posting read alot.

For jeans there is a streetwear and denim department.

Have fun.

Yours
GN

runes

Reaction score
i didn't pay much attention to my style choices until recently.

they have gotten much better. but i get pretty bored between old navy, value village, the north face and the occasional mexx sweater.

runes

Reaction score
huzzah, some pictures.

sorry, these are from a field trip we took for class. to the zoo to "learn" about things but we mostly just watched the orangutans touch each other and ate at Harvey's while complaining about the cold.

zooph5.jpg

i don't know if you can make assumptions from there, but there's some tenting and some lack of form. it's thick, yes, so it's definitely a purely winter coat. the dimensions are all there, it needs some back/waist/sleeve trimming (the sleeves are a bit wide too. or maybe i'm just skinny as ****)

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we mostly just watched the orangutans touch each other and ate at Harvey's while complaining about the cold.

Pics or it didn't happen.
lol8[1].gif

Also, ha ha ha at blocking out the identity of the moose.
cheers.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huzzah, some pictures.

sorry, these are from a field trip we took for class. to the zoo to "learn" about things but we mostly just watched the orangutans touch each other and ate at Harvey's while complaining about the cold.

i don't know if you can make assumptions from there, but there's some tenting and some lack of form. it's thick, yes, so it's definitely a purely winter coat. the dimensions are all there, it needs some back/waist/sleeve trimming (the sleeves are a bit wide too. or maybe i'm just skinny as ****)

Ohhh, you are a lucky guy. A big hairy friend and a little gilfriend!!!!

I was skinny, too. Live changes. Now I am forty and gained 30kg in the last 12 years.

Now I have to go sleep (two weeks to go to christmas and there is a lot of work left). Have a nice time.

JE4Nius

Reaction score
no clue or help on the original question, BUT....where is the jacket from? I really like the cut and lines of it.

oh, and welcome!

runes

Reaction score
haha, it's gap! it's pretty warm actually, and when i wear my hat i look like a longshoreman. plus the collar is really big, which i like for that style.

Clashgirl1

Reaction score
Thank you for this information. My son is having the same problem with a boxy peacoat.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this information. My son is having the same problem with a boxy peacoat.

I assume that you didn't trouble to notice it was nearly ten years old!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads