1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring a pair of pants...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HitMan009, Oct 9, 2003.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

Hey Everyone,

Don't mean to take a whole thread for this but I have been given some conflicting information. I would like to ask how much does it cost to do a custom pair of pants, just for regular business casual work wear.. I live in the NYC and I know a few places where I can get surplus stock of wool fabric for decent prices. I want to ask how much does it cost for the pants if I give the tailor the fabric. Has anyone done this? If someone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Some have told me for the price one pays for a the "high-end" Banana Republic pants(~$150), fabric and tailored. Is this true?

Thank You
    -HitMan009

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

I'm not sure, 250-300us maybe? I've never had a pair of pants tailored, but when I was looking at the bespoke prices for harry rosen up here in montreal, I believe that a pair of pants started at $350-400cdn. If your brought your own fabric, it would obviously be less.

I could be very wrong though, because a custom shirt from there cost me 400cdn, and I would think that pants are more expensive because of the fabric... but then pants don't require the hand work that a shirt does. So ya, i'd figure maybe $350-400.

3. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

haha. I encountered this exact situation about two years ago. GQ ran a spread with the Wayans brothers (Summer of 2001). One of the pages featured wool pants by Nautica that were supposed to premiere that fall. So, I checked some stores in my area that carry Nautica. Nothing. So, I finally called the Nautica store in New York. Turns out, they only made that pair.  Eventually, I found fabric that was almost indetical to that in the article. I asked around and found a woman in a small town who tailored. She charged around $200 - 250. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around that. I definitely think it was well worth it. The pants are extremely comfortable, and I've gotten lots of compliments on them  [​IMG]