• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring a London Fog mac (38S to 36) - feasible? worthwhile?

Demodocus

Reaction score
Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this. I couldn't find any substantial discussion of the issue and didn't get anything from my previous post.

I've been on the hunt for a raincoat and recently found a classic London Fog mac for a killer price. The only problem is that, while it's marked 38 Short, the model is a 6ft5 tall size L. It appears to be quite snug on him. I'm a size XS to S (168cm/5ft6 and 49kg/108 lbs). I understand 38S corresponds to a size S, but am almost certain it would require some tailoring--36 would be ideal, but difficult to come by. For reference, my wool overcoat is a size EU46 (=US36, UK36, S) and comfortably roomy even over a jacket, which is my general preference.

For the price I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy it, but I'd greatly appreciate some input on how much one can tailor a mac with decent results? Is tailoring 38 down to 36 feasible or is it a waste of time?

Thanks in advance

Dadacantona

Reaction score
There are actual tailors on here who are better placed to comment on the specifics but I think it’s perfectly possible. A friend of mine had a tailor trim down an old Burberry a full size. That said, vintage London Fog coats (as well as Burberry, Aquascutum etc) are ten a penny on eBay. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find a 36 fairly quickly.

Demodocus

Reaction score
Thank you! You're right about their ubiquity, but the only setback with eBay is the shipping costs, as most sellers seem to be in the US (vs me in Portugal). This one was a bit of a lucky break as the seller is in Eastern Europe, so it's a cheap enough import. I'm not sure how works out taking the tailoring into account, though. Another option I've kept an eye on is the Uniqlo U Single Breasted Trench, which is now ~50% off at 59€, but I'm not sure about the quality of their products beyond some positive remarks I've read here.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.