• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailoring a leather jacket...need opinions

bryce126

Reaction score
This was a Zara jacket i got some time ago, and bought way too big. I'm messing around with tailoring random things in my closet and want the leather jacket to fit perfectly. So far I've tapered the body, raised arm holes, narrowed sleeves, and the inner lining to match. I installed invisible zippers on the pockets so they don't billow out, and here I am.

There's a black cotton stretch material that goes at the bottom that's off in these pictures.

Long story short, is this a good length, or longer, or shorter?
(last pics are two I used for guidance on how I wanted it to look)

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
motorcycle jackets like these are obviously shorter than any other kind of jacket. like your model pics show, they typically sit right above the waistband or cover the waistband. T-shirts that protrude out the bottom is a totally acceptable (the standard?) looks with moto jackets. I say leave the length the way it is. You *could* add a band of black cotton at the bottom, but you'd have to get a new zipper too, and that's probably like $75 at least of alterations and you still have to find the black material somewhere...

bryce126

Reaction score
I ended up shortening the jacket by 2" from what it started at, and am very happy with the outcome. here's close to full body.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you tailoring the jacket yourself? If so, that's an awesome project.

If not, I can't fathom spending hefty tailoring fees on a leather jacket for something like a Zara piece.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harbin
need picture of your entire body

2b3ckz.gif

bryce126

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Are you tailoring the jacket yourself? If so, that's an awesome project.

If not, I can't fathom spending hefty tailoring fees on a leather jacket for something like a Zara piece.

definitely did the tailoring myself. Like you said, tailoring costs a ton if you don't do it yourself for pieces like leather, way too much hassle for a Zara jacket. Now I've got a jacket that fits me perfectly. ToJ leathers are amazing from the pictures I've seen.

flyguy7

Reaction score
I didn't give an eff about this thread until I read that you tailored your leather jacket yourself. I have no idea about doing clothing adjustments myself, is this a hard project that requires special materials. I have an old banana republic leather that's really not bad but the fit's awful. It's my only black leather though, so I'd consider trying to figure out how to do it myself as an experiment if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle

bryce126

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyguy7
I didn't give an eff about this thread until I read that you tailored your leather jacket yourself. I have no idea about doing clothing adjustments myself, is this a hard project that requires special materials. I have an old banana republic leather that's really not bad but the fit's awful. It's my only black leather though, so I'd consider trying to figure out how to do it myself as an experiment if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle
mine took me a few days of off/on work, but I treated it like I was reverse engineering something. I took notes, made diagrams of where I wanted adjustments, and forced myself to take my time. You should go for it! jacket again with my elderly dog. edit: I didnt see your question until now. It requires a sewing machine, matching thread, and sometimes double-sided adhesive tape and a ton of pins. basic sewing stuff. I had to buy snap-attaching supplies, and a seam ripper is priceless

951socal

Reaction score
tumblr_la6porbaSa1qbp8k4o1_400.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads