• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a coat: How much can be done?

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy (ebay) & tailor this coat:

It's an old YSL coat, and looking at measurements, it seems to be of the right size for me.
However, I'd like to get it tailored to have slimmer sleeves, higher armholes, longer sleeves, and slimmer body, all depending on need upon trying it on.

From searching the forums, making the armhole higher is said to be impossible, so I'm hoping I won't need that. Otherwise, can anyone tell from looking at these pictures if other tailoring would be problematic? I thought I would ask those of you who have experience with having a vintage coat/larger coats tailored smaller, as I've only experience with getting modern coats tailored. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope it fits you better than that mannequin and if it does, I see no need to alter anything.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictures are appealing to me. In my mind I would only need the arms slightly tapered and probably let out in length... but pictures are deceptive. Its only ~USD190 so I'm inclined to just give it a go. Its probably silly of me to ask those questions- everyone can only guess lol.

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Don't taper the arms, it will look ridiculous. The sleeve length seems really short, and there's usually not much you can let out.

Last edited:

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
Have to say don't buy. Those sleeves look way too short and as suggested max you get is normally 1". That is if there is any fabric to let out. Vintage gear is great but really needs the essentials close and not miles off so sleeves are a killer for his one unless you have very short arms for height.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the alterations you envision are problematic. because until the coat is tried on with a suit coat inside, you will never know what it needs. the sleeves may need to be lengthened . overcoat sleeves often show wear at the bottom edges of the sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads