• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a blazer to the right size

Fanthom

Reaction score
I'm size 48, and I have been given a nice classic blazer in size 52. Does anyone know if it is possible to have it tailored to the right size?

Thanks,
Marcus

davei

Reaction score
Anything's possible, but I wouldn't bother. With a 4 size difference, even if you could get the chest/shoulders/sleeves right, the pockets would then be too low.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree. A nice classic blazer in your size, if (as it sounds) you don't mind wearing semi-used clothing, might cost you $10. Of course a new one will be 50 times that. But the alteration cost will definitely not be worth the end result, which would likely look hackneyed in some way anyway. Find one that matches your stats on ebay for under $20 (be careful to measure a well-fitted garment precisely and compare) or in a thrift store for $3 and have it altered slightly to be perfect, then rejoice in your practical application of intelligence.

Mike

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other posts. I recently got a vintage suit for an increadible price. However it was a couple sizes too big. The pants were extremely large in the waist, like 5 inches too big. But I loved it and the price. I got it tailored and the cost was more than 5 times what I paid for the suit. The jacket came out alright but the pants are still a couple inches too big. Nothing a belt can't fix but still annoying. I should've just passed up the deal and looked for one closer to my size.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the front of the jacket at the chest cannot be made more than one quarter inch smaller on each side.
why? because the breast pocket gets too close to the sleeve. even the quarter inch makes a difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics