• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring a 42l to a 40r?

indianshaft

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum, and have a pretty novice question.

I purchased a 40R (normal size) RL suit, and the company send me a Ben Sherman 40R apparently they ran out of the RL suits.

Not knowing much, and being a bit unprepared, I called them and complained asking where my RL suit was. They were nice enough to have me send the Sherman suit back. In retrospect I probably should have kept the suit. That is beyond the point of post.

Anyways, they gave me free return shipping and then we moved on to what about the RL suit.
They gave me a few alternatives a double breasted was their recommendation but I am not a big fan of those types of suits. Again, probably should've just gone with that.

Anyways, I chose a 42L RL suit, and received it today. I got a great deal on suit paid a 100 dollars. But, when I tried it on realized the importance of suit sizes.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was anyway for me to make the best of a bad situation and get the suit tailored to fit my needs?

Also if it is possible, who could I go to in NYC?

Thanks for the help.

AncientSoul

Reaction score
If you paid $100 for a suit that doesn't fit you then in my opinion you paid too much. Most likely the coat and sleeves are too long for you.

A good tailor will be able to make it look half decent after alterations but do you really like this suit so much that you would spend maybe another $100 to make it fit?

If I were you, I would just return the suit and get one from their stock in my size.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AncientSoul
If you paid $100 for a suit that doesn't fit you then in my opinion you paid too much. Most likely the coat and sleeves are too long for you.

A good tailor will be able to make it look half decent after alterations but do you really like this suit so much that you would spend maybe another $100 to make it fit?

If I were you, I would just return the suit and get one from their stock in my size.

+1

saiyar1

Reaction score
Return it. That is all.

Shoulders will be too big, button stance will be far too low if you just cut the length. It will look terrible.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 69 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 128 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 67 17.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 27 6.9%