• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored Suits or Altered Suits

ofKAWS

Reaction score
Is it better to buy a suit that is tailored to your fit with good quality fabrics
Ex.
A tailored suit to your fit with Zegna fabrics

OR

a Zegna suit bought from a retail store and a complimentary alternation is given.

Both of these saying that they are both the same price roughly

ofKAWS

Reaction score
With the first one you need to have a real and good tailor, with the second one you can go to qualified alteration tailor or seamstress.

ok thank you !

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
with the first you need a real good tailor .
with the second you need a real good tailor.

if the rtw garment comes close to a good fit with minor alts, go with it.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't enough context. Retail prices vs retail prices? Sale prices for off the rack vs retail made to measure? Made to Measure Ralph Lauren vs Off the Rack Ralph Lauren? or is it Brioni off the rack vs Despos Bespoke?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
I have to agree with most of the comments. It all depends on the Tailor both times. If the prices are the same and you have a good tailor for alterations then I would try on the off the peg at Zenya, which are some gorgeous fabrics, and see if it fits well. If it does then perfect. If not then get the tailored at Zenya. Have to say, the prices at Zenya for ready made and tailored are normally not very similar. Off pegs will set you back £1,500 on average, so add extra £200 for alterations maybe. One of their tailored starts at £2.500 I thought. What prices did you find?

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to agree with most of the comments. It all depends on the Tailor both times. If the prices are the same and you have a good tailor for alterations then I would try on the off the peg at Zenya, which are some gorgeous fabrics, and see if it fits well. If it does then perfect. If not then get the tailored at Zenya. Have to say, the prices at Zenya for ready made and tailored are normally not very similar. Off pegs will set you back £1,500 on average, so add extra £200 for alterations maybe. One of their tailored starts at £2.500 I thought. What prices did you find?

Zenya?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion that no-name brand MTM gives you something that sort of fits yet often has no real personality. Yes, with a designer suit you're paying in part purely inflation for their marketing but if you can find something OTR that fits pretty well, most of the work's already been done to give it design, shape, ie personality, and then you just need to tweek the fit a little. That process tends to get most people 80-90% of the way there. Unless your tailor has strong ideas about fit and styling or you do too and can guide the process, my preference is for OTR+tailoring rather than MTMRandom+nicefabric.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best to get the better fitting suit that requires the least alterations than a suit that needs more alteration even though it 's made with better cloth.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

I've always been of the opinion that no-name brand MTM gives you something that sort of fits yet often has no real personality. Yes, with a designer suit you're paying in part purely inflation for their marketing but if you can find something OTR that fits pretty well, most of the work's already been done to give it design, shape, ie personality, and then you just need to tweek the fit a little. That process tends to get most people 80-90% of the way there. Unless your tailor has strong ideas about fit and styling or you do too and can guide the process, my preference is for OTR+tailoring rather than MTMRandom+nicefabric.

Could not disagree more. If the OTR fits you great, then wonderful. But the idea that this process gets you 80-90% of the way there is tosh. OTR is built to fit a general population and generally it fits only about 20%. And even that is only reasonably. Of that about 5% fit vey well. The rest of us just make do.

Such utter rubbish. A good made to measure is made for you. Noody else. The idea this lacks some sort of character is rot and spoken by someone without knowledge. OTR does it's job but is cheaper in shops due to cheaper construction/fabric/labour and is mostly the same for the bigger more expensive brands. The extra cost is mostly mark up.

I meet many chaps that fit off the peg ok. But most chaps I meet do not know that their fit is awful and could really benefit from good alterations or a tailored suit. And when they do try a good tailors they then know the difference. They may not be able to afford every suit they own at that range but many choose to have one great suit.

Most of my clients lovee the difference so much in the fit, length of life, ability to choose their own style, personality of t,heir new suits that they never wish to buy OTR again.

OTR is a necessary product that many men enjoy and hope it only gets better, and should as technology gets cheaper and better, but generally there is no comparison to a suit made for you only.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
No Zegna. How can a travelling salesman in tailoring get such a basic wrong?

GBR. Appreciate again. Very kind. But it seems that your entire ethos for existence on any posts is to be negative or picky or just plain sad. Is the spelling important? No. If you seriously think it is more important than the advice given by people trying to help others then you are just as you seem. Sad, bored and on your own. Best of luck and will surely see your replies deriding people here and there and yet never actually delivering useful advice.

Might have spelled some things wrong in there. Why not have a read and waste some time pointing it out. I won't be responding again as this travelling salesman (you say this as a dig, but I don't sell. I help. That is the sale. And if done properly I will never need to sell again) has things to do.

Ciao!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GBR. Appreciate again. Very kind. But it seems that your entire ethos for existence on any posts is to be negative or picky or just plain sad. Is the spelling important? No. If you seriously think it is more important than the advice given by people trying to help others  then you are just as you seem. Sad, bored and on your own. Best of luck and will surely see your replies deriding people here and there and yet never actually delivering useful advice. 

Might have spelled some things wrong in there. Why not have a read and waste some time pointing it out. I won't be responding again as this travelling salesman (you say this as a dig, but I don't sell. I help. That is the sale. And if done properly I will never need to sell again) has things to do. 

Ciao!

None of those things apply but a little research about your good-self appear that you over state your position, And then disagreeing an uninformed way with 'Despos' (and indeed 'Master Classter') seems rather unwise, nay crass.

The one problem with this Board in the last two years is that it has changed from being serious about clothes to one dealing in 'agony aunt' threads rather than anything more. Doubtless Tom James has its adherents but fawning salesmen sorry "helpers" it has, good cutters it has not.

cropknox

Reaction score

I would contend that a MTM tailor, who knows his business and has a good suiting selection, is only limited by the clients imagination not his own lack of designer street creed . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads