• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored suit to slim fit sizing

steve799

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for taking time to read my query.

I have seen a suit that I really like ( 3 piece suit )

Usually i buy a standard ft suit and wear a 42 jacket and waistcoat with size 36 waist trousers.

This suit is on an online only purchase and is 'SLIM FIT' I have never tried a slim fit suit before and am interested in purchasing.

My question is : If i usually take a 42R suit would I also probablt require the same in slim fit or is the 'conversion' different ?

any help will be great
cheers
smile.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should generally wear the same size; the slim fit will be slimmer and tighter but not usually enough to cause you to size up, and sizing up would defeat the object of buying slim fit in the first place.

Measure the circumference of your chest; if it's actually 42 inches then you'll fit fine in the size 42 'slim fit'. If its more like 43-44 but you usually size down to 42 in 'normal fit' stuff, then you might want to get the size 44 in slim fit or it could be too tight.

Basically in 90% of cases you should be wearing the size which corresponds to your actual chest size.

Edit: The only problem I forsee could be the trousers; sometimes slim fit has a 7-8 inch drop instead of the normal 6 inches, which would give you trousers with a 35" waist instead of 36". You can easily have the trousers let out if necessary though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheNotoriousVR
I measure 40 around the chest, but a 40 looks like a sack on me from certain brands.

Yeah, that's not because they're the wrong size though, but just because some brands really are cut like sacks. If you size down it will still looks like a sack, just a smaller sack.

You mention the shoulders though, they can certainly be a problem; they can vary wildly among suits of the same size so it would definitely be a good idea to check the shoulder measurement before buying anything online.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim suit I wear a 42.

Regular North American sizing, I can take a 40.

As someone mentioned before, the maker of the suit does play a role whether you need to size up.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you peruse the sales section of this website there are some common measurements that are needed to tell if a suit fits properly. The chest is but one. And the outside of the chest laid flat is different from the suit size. It should be larger. The shoulders are something I always need to check on. I wear somewhere b/w a 38R and 40S depending on brand, but no matter what the shoulders have to be between 17.75 and 18, no wider. If they are, it's too wide on me. Arm length is another, but it can be more easily adjusted by an alterations tailor unless the button holes are cut, then there's only so much it can be shortened and lengthening it is out.

Take your best fitting suit and measure it, then ask for detailed measurements of the suit you want to buy. If they match, go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads