• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored Suit in London

oasisman82

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after a tailored suit in London and have around £500 to spend, I realise it's not quite enough but what tailors would people recommend?

I've done some research and even went to a fitting with Kind and Allen the other day, but I have the feeling it won't be that good and will cancel (not to worry, no money has changed hands). I've seen some bad reviews for King and Allen and other cheaper tailors such as A Suit That Fits, so I may wish to stay clear of them..

I know what I'm after, I'm after a slim fitting suit, 2 button, working cuffs etc. slim lapels and a notched collar. I like the suits Daniel Craig wore as James Bond in Quantum of Solace, Tom Ford made those suits, and would like something very similar. I will also need to get tailored shirts to match too.

Any ideas?

Pete.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King and Allan products are amongst the lowest you can get - forget the hype.

Probably middle road RTW at that price unless Norton and Townsend or similar have a sale on - they did recently.

oasisman82

Reaction score
I thought as much, they wouldn't tell me where they were made, it then clicked, they don't make them at all!

I reckon they get them made from here: www.baronboutique.com

Have you heard of Haff Menswear at all? Can't find a website but have seen them mentioned here and there...

fox81

Reaction score
by tailored suit, you mean made to measure?

oasisman82

Reaction score
I guess so, but I am after something in particular as I mentioned.
I'm assuming a fully bespoke suit is completely out of my price range.
I have the money for one, but can't part that much for a suit, not yet anyway.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George Bespoke Tailors should be within your price range, starting at £460 according to their website.

I've seen some of their work, it's not bad, especially for the price. There's more information if you do a search on the forum but I believe it's true bespoke not MTM.

The N&T offer previously alluded to can be found here - £495 for a suit.

I do need to note that both the above tailors, especially N&T, will produce quite a firmly canvassed suit, not something with the suppleness you would expect from a higher-priced tailor.

oasisman82

Reaction score
Sounds like George Bespoke Tailors and N&T are worth checking out.

I will try and checkout N&T very quickly as the sale ends soon.

Any other suggestions?

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
A friend of mine went to King & Allen a bit ago, and while the suit fitted well the construction was pretty poor.

Other options are, as previously mentioned, Norton & Townsend who I have visited and their work seems to be very good for the price though it is MTM, not bespoke and a lot of their sewing is done in China. There is also The Cad & The Dandy, which looking at the reviews seems to be decent as long as you actually get measured in person and don't rely on putting your measurements into their website.

If you can extend you're budget a little there's also Sussanah Hall who have quoted me £550 for CMT. Quality of work may be slightly better than Norton & Townsend and it's all done in the UK.

Tweed Run

Reaction score
i once got a suit from these fellows: thick as thieves it fit surprisingly well for a suit that i ordered over the internet for $500. good quality, fully canvased, handmade buttonholes, etc. and my alterations tailor, who did the final fitting on the suit, was impressed with the making up.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
A friend of mine went to King & Allen a bit ago, and while the suit fitted well the construction was pretty poor.

Other options are, as previously mentioned, Norton & Townsend who I have visited and their work seems to be very good for the price though it is MTM, not bespoke and a lot of their sewing is done in China. There is also The Cad & The Dandy, which looking at the reviews seems to be decent as long as you actually get measured in person and don't rely on putting your measurements into their website.

If you can extend you're budget a little there's also Sussanah Hall who have quoted me £550 for CMT. Quality of work may be slightly better than Norton & Townsend and it's all done in the UK.

I just wanted to pick up on the Susannah Hall comment - I hadn't realised they were that reasonably priced, but I examined one of their suits recently and wasn't impressed; very limp (not in a pleasant, lightly-canvassed way) and quality in line with N&T rather than better. YMMV.

oasisman82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
A friend of mine went to King & Allen a bit ago, and while the suit fitted well the construction was pretty poor. Other options are, as previously mentioned, Norton & Townsend who I have visited and their work seems to be very good for the price though it is MTM, not bespoke and a lot of their sewing is done in China. There is also The Cad & The Dandy, which looking at the reviews seems to be decent as long as you actually get measured in person and don't rely on putting your measurements into their website. If you can extend you're budget a little there's also Sussanah Hall who have quoted me £550 for CMT. Quality of work may be slightly better than Norton & Townsend and it's all done in the UK.
I'm flexible around £500. Are you saying Norton & Townsend don't actually construct the suits here...? I'm starting to head towards George Bespoke Tailors at this point... Looks like a good family business for starters and all work is done on the premises. Is Suit Supply any good, I know I won't get exactly what I want though....?

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oasisman82
I'm flexible around £500.

Are you saying Norton & Townsend don't actually construct the suits here...?

I'm starting to head towards George Bespoke Tailors at this point...
Looks like a good family business for starters and all work is done on the premises.

Is Suit Supply any good, I know I won't get exactly what I want though....?

Well, I didn't question them too hard on this but their website says that they use workrooms in the UK, EU and China. Not sure to what extent things are sent abroad though.

tinkle60

Reaction score
I've had 3 suits so far from cad & the dandy. Always gone for a fitting in person and was able to customise a lot more than the website allowed.

At this price point, you will struggle to find many places who actually make the complete suit here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics