Tailored/slim fit khaki suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by walds11, Oct 10, 2012.

1. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I need a supply of khakis for a business casual work environment. The 3 for 1 sale that just passed is one of Jos. A Bank's best sales. Unfortunately, I did not pull the trigger. I was looking for some khakis and tried the Traveler Plain Front Tailored Fit Khakis. Way to full, especially in the rear. Very disappointing! I wear the Traveler Tailored Fit Pleated Front Trousers dress trousers daily and they fit great. The sales associate said that their khakis are cut fuller than their dress pants.

I also tried on the Docker's Iron-Free D2 Straight-Fit Flat-Front Pants at Kohl's. The 34 was too snug and the 36 a bit loose. The lady said that they are 100% preshrunk cotton, so minimal shrinkage, 1/4" if any at all. Oh well.

What about the Gap Tailored Khaki, straight fit? They are offered in odd number waist sizes. I am 6'0" and 180 lbs. 35x32 is my size. I am pretty set on the straight fit style as they work well with my body type. Any other suggestions on tailored/slim fit khakis?

2. atoms

atoms Senior member

j.crew sells some, maybe they'll meet your needs. Also, don't pay much attention to the description of a fit (regardless of maker). Just go in a store, ask for an associate, and tell them you'd like help trying on all their fits in your size. I own a pair of navy chinos from there, I had to get them hemmed but that's par for the course. They're kind to the wallet.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

3. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

I believe there is a thread on khaki here somewhere, have you tried searching for tailored khakis?

4. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I picked up 2 pairs of Gap Tailored Khaki straight fit in navy and khaki color. They fit, look and feel great. I used my wife's Old Navy credit card to get 30% off :) The only other color available in this style is black. I am not a fan of black. I may pick up a few more pairs of the khaki color. I am trying to build up a business casual wordrobe. No more shirt and ties when I start my new gig on 10/29 :)

I also tried Eddie Bauer straight fit and they were way to full in the hips and rear. I am also going to check out Brooks Brothers and J. Crew. They offer similar tailored fits styles like Gap.

5. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

I used to wear the Vintage wash Khakis from Gap...super material, but very baggy through the thighs and really high on the waist.
    How do these fit through the thigh?

6. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

7. walds11

walds11 Senior member

The Gap tailored khaki straight fit sits just below the waist, straight through the leg and straight leg opening. They are "tailored" and fit nice through the thigh (and rear). These will probably be my go to khakis.

8. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

Thanks.
    Do they fit TTS?

9. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

I've been *extremely* happy with Bonobs slim straight chinos.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Try the BB Milano. If you like JAB, the 3 for 1 sale occurs all the time.

11. walds11

walds11 Senior member

What's TTS mean?

12. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

Check out bills khakis, not in the "gap, JAB" price range. But they're very good quality.

(I see you're from PA, maybe you could make a trip to the base store in reading)

13. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I plan on trying the BB Clark. The Clark fit is more up my alley and similar to the Gap tailored straight fit.

14. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I'm always amazed you guys don't consider taking the pants to a tailor. Slimming down pants is one of the easiest operations imaginable, so it's both inexpensive and pretty much foolproof.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Bill's are far from slim.