• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored sharkskin suit; Where to purchase online?

JimmyRecard

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to all this, so bear with me. Anyway I was wondering which sites you would all recommend to purchase a tailored sharkskin suit online, sites you've had experience with or heard good things about?

Thanks in advance.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None.

Buying on line can be fraught if you do not know what you bare about. You will see many threads (if you care to trouble to look) in which people have reported dissatisfaction with online purchases and rather less suggesting success.

Suggest go to a bricks and mortar shop.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Be aware of the composition of the cloth - there's sharkskin and there's sharkskin.

IMO the best are made wih something like an 80% - 20% mix of worsted wool and either mohair or silk. The 20% gives you a subtle sheen without looking all oily and metallic. Cheap suits make sharkskin out of polyester and viscose - they look crap and with a cheap cloth like that are likely to be poorly made.

This season J Crew has a 100% wool (canvassed?) suit made in China, in either navy or dark silver gray sharkskin. It's a modern slim cut with narrow lapels but the cloth is good and it can look good on the right shape, definitely not for fatties. They are about $650 retail, the good thing is they do jacket and trousers as separates so you have more options to get your size right, the better news is on e you know your size they can be had much cheaper on eBay etc.

JimmyRecard

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.

GBR- Thanks for the honest reply.

Ianiceman- I'm currently checking out this site. Looks very good, and the reviews are positive. But it doesn't actually appear to be sharkskin, or claiming such. I'm still looking through it all. I am of a very slim build, so slimfit suits me just fine.

Twotone- Also looking good.

Any other suggestions? Alternatives and the like?
Thanks. :)

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most sharkskin suits you'll see online are around $600 range from DKNY, Calvin Klein., etc. I think when going for sharkskin it's best you check out the fabric or material personally since there's a distinct sheen to it that may not be evident when you purchase online. Visit your friendly tailor to personalize your sharkskin suit.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a medium gray sharkskin for sale at www.rickskansascity.com. It is not shiny sharkskin, but the fabric is beautiful. Not sure what size your looking for but there are only a few left. Let me know if I can help.

buzzron

Reaction score
I agree it would be best to have this fabric/suit custom maade than bought online.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies everyone.

GBR- Thanks for the honest reply.

Ianiceman- I'm currently checking out this site. Looks very good, and the reviews are positive. But it doesn't actually appear to be sharkskin, or claiming such. I'm still looking through it all. I am of a very slim build, so slimfit suits me just fine.

Twotone- Also looking good.

Any other suggestions? Alternatives and the like?
Thanks. :)
I don't think there's a strict empirical definition of sharkskin, it's more a case of you know it when you see it. It's created by the cross weaving of fibre strands of different colour and/ or composition to create that sheen, but said sheen can range from something subtle which from a few feet away looks like flat worsted, to something like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. As with most aspects of classic gents clothing, subtle is the way to go IMO. Those J Crew suits (I think the cloth is by Telegrano or something, NOT the Loro Piana suits) are definitely down at the more subdued end of the continuum and IMO if they were made a few shades lighter in both the gray and the navy they would have shown a bit more sheen without looking like a third rate gangster from the sixties.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have one fully bespoke in worsted and mohair that I will probably sell but it won't be cheap. 38 chest, 30 waist, 31 inside leg, silver gray mohair, lots of hand finished details. PM if interested.

jt10000

Reaction score
It's certainly not high quality, but Macy's sells sharkskin Tommy Hilfiger suits. I have one in blue that looks pretty nice. It's a little shiny, but not over the top. And the shoulders have a little more padding than I'd like. But it was about $280 and for that price quite good. I wouldn't buy it at full price. Jacket and pants are sold separately.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's certainly not high quality, but Macy's sells sharkskin Tommy Hilfiger suits. I have one in blue that looks pretty nice. It's a little shiny, but not over the top.  And the shoulders have a little more padding than I'd like.  But it was about $280 and for that price quite good.  I wouldn't buy it at full price. Jacket and pants are sold separately.

I've see both their Hilfiger and Alfani ones. You can't expect much from a department store suit at that price. There was something very off about the cuts. Sleeve pitch was horrible, you'd have to be pushing a shopping cart to get the ripples to go away.

jt10000

Reaction score
I got compliments when I wore that suit (have only done so once). Perhaps from people who don't know much about suits (I sure don't), but they came.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads