• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored jacket outfit for summer garden get-together

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Just a casual end-of-lockdown/ start of summer get together with a moderately dressy crowd - not menswear devotees or journalists, but professional ladies and gents - probably want to be a bit more put-together than a regular Thursday afternoon but not like I've come straight from the office, or that I've tried too hard.
So I thought about jacket and polo with some casual trousers.
Jacket is linen, not sure if I'm keeping it yet but it was cheap and seems to fit ok so I probably will.
Polo is a quite pricey one, that I save for somewhat special occasions.
Trousers are best I can do - they are my best-fitting pair of casual, light coloured trousers. Jeans would be too casual for the flavour I'm going for. Open to suggestions here!
Am I on the right track?
Do the trousers work with the jacket, or is the colour too similar?
Any suggestions for an alternative to the polo? I don't have anything in a light colour that will work with the jacket and trousers (my light blue shirts are either OC which wont be "summer" enough, or just standard work shirts, which will make the outfit look too office, I think).
Haven't thought about shoes yet. Most likely will wear either brown derbies or my beige canvas tennis shoes (would those look to casual with the jacket?) PXL_20210607_163608710.jpg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's enough contrast between the jacket and pants that it works. As stated above, you probably want to have the pants hemmed. Check your sleeve length with a shirt and possibly have that altered as well. That may not be needed for this particular occasion however it may be handy later.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think it looks fine. The pants look like they need to be hemmed up.
Thanks. Think you're right about the pants although they are hemmed to my usual length. Might be because they are a bit wide in the waist (I'm an awkward waist measurement between 30" and 32") so sit a bit lower than they should?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
So I decided to do this with a kind of tonal feel by swapping the dark polo for a light one.
Does this look better? Or is the contrasting one more stylish?
I changed the trousers too, less noticeably, so these are a looser fit in a lighter colour, really not that far off white. The previous trousers looked too close in colour to work with the light polo, to my eyes. Both, I guess, could be described as stone.
Does this jacket work as a casual jacket or does it look like I'm wearing half a suit? It's linen and herringbone so should, from what I can tell, pass muster as a stand-alone "casual jacket". But it doesn't have patch pockets, which seems to be considered an important factor by people here. PXL_20210609_203849600.jpg

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
So I decided to do this with a kind of tonal feel by swapping the dark polo for a light one.
I changed the trousers too, less noticeably, so these are a looser fit in a lighter colour, really not that far off white. The previous trousers looked too close in colour to work with the light polo, to my eyes. Both, I guess, could be described as stone.
Does this jacket work as a casual jacket or does it look like I'm wearing half a suit? It's linen and herringbone so should, from what I can tell, pass muster as a stand-alone "casual jacket". But it doesn't have patch pockets, which seems to be considered an important factor by people here. View attachment 1622478

I prefer the darker polo with this outfit. I think the lighter one is too similar to the pants. And the jacket works fine as casual.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either outfit looks fine to me. Don’t worry about patch pockets. By “tennis shoes” do you mean Converse type sneakers? That would be fine. See the IG account of Akamine Yukio for more sharp casual ideas (also he wears canvas sneakers a lot.) We can’t tell jacket fit from your pix, for that you would need to take your hands out of your trouser pockets and button the waist!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the first outfit better than the second. It's always easier to pull off a look where the pieces have a distinct bit of contrast. This comes through the darker polo.

Wouldn't recommend wearing sneakers with a tailored jacket. While it can work in very specific instances, doing it successfullly takes a bit of careful threading. It would be easier and safer for you to wear leather shoes with that outfit, such as a pair of brown penny loafers.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this jacket work as a casual jacket or does it look like I'm wearing half a suit? It's linen and herringbone so should, from what I can tell, pass muster as a stand-alone "casual jacket". But it doesn't have patch pockets, which seems to be considered an important factor by people here. View attachment 1622478

Another vote for Outfit #1

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Of the two I'd agree that outfit 1 is a little better owing to the higher contrast. Others have mentioned the fit of the pants. In my view, there are jeans that would look more dressed-up than the trousers. Leather loafers would seal the deal - just what I would wear - hope you find something you feel great in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads