1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailored Clothing Widely Considered Gay

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Manton, Apr 5, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

2. jett

jett Senior member

[​IMG]

Why are they walking in the middle of the street? And why does the guy on the far right have all 3 buttons buttoned? Isn't that a terrible faux pas even worse than wearing a black suit, let alone a black suit in the daytime? (can you tell I am learning?)

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Some dress for the approval of other men, and some dress for the approval of hot, classy women. A decision one must make.

Exactly.... I dress for my women

4. Freerider

Freerider Active Member

But I DO know that certain items of tailored clothing are widely considered GAY. Fair? True? Maybe not. But we all must deal with the world as we find it, not as we wish it to be, and this prejudice is out there. So let me help you learn to avoid it.

Why should we avoid it? Playing with prejudices/rules is a good start for elegant dressing.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Forgive me Manton, if I have misunderstood

I think you have.

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I know this guy who has like five pairs of shoes! I am sorry but all a man should have are some sneakers, flip flops and maybe a pair of black dress shoes. Anything more than that is just gay.

Oops ! You just called gay the 70% of the forum members [​IMG]

7. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

People wearing that suit in the first pic Manton are so gay, they might as well play jazz flute.
    ROLF ! I play jazz and it is true, most flute players are girls or dubious men

8. Manton

I could let the two Rolling Rocks I had tonight influence my judgment and make a rude comment about your overly erect lapel
    This is gold, pure gold, I tells ya!

9. Manton

Called out!

Well!

With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming.

While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs.

Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets.

Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals.

Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says.

My favorite example of TCWCG remains this:

[​IMG]

The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling.

The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it.

And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

Eh, what do you know about it. The last time I saw you, you didn't even look all that gay.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Well, for the Collection of Sartorial Excellence I toned it down a little.

But it's also me on the runway in Jared's avatar.

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

So, my gray POW with pink windowpane, my spread collar and my purple dimpled tie would qualify as gay to you ?

[​IMG]

12. itskub

itskub Senior member

Id rather be gay and NOT have a pair of flip flops in my wardrobe.

13. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I am straight as an arrow but I still recognise everyone of us have a feminine side. the tie and the pocket square are the feminine side of our attire.

when I was young and started to wear suits, I was taught that the suit has to be dark and serious as a father and the shirt should be white as a canvas as a pure mother, and the tie was the colorful "fille folle" or the crazy daughter.

I had followed that advice my whole life.

I had scored countless women and never had an interest for any men, out of business interests off course, and even not that much so.

14. Manton

So, my gray POW with pink windowpane, my spread collar and my purple dimpled tie would qualify as gay to you ?

[​IMG]

The red windowpane honestly looks straight to me. Maybe it's the color. Also, you don't have a pocket square.

The tie is definitely gay. As is the besom ticket pocket.

15. Freerider

Freerider Active Member

BTW, if you must wrestle with a gay guy, make it one of the West Village dudes. The Chelsea boys are really strong. They must spend all day in the gym. The Village guys are weaklings by comparison.

Tom Wolfe wannabe, write a loooong socio-book and get yourself a white flannel suit.

16. Manton

get yourself a white flannel suit.

What makes you think I don't already have one?

17. Manton

Why should we avoid it?

Well, the thing is, a lot of straight guys just hate it when anyone speculates that they might be gay. (No offense, mack. It's nothing personal, just stating a fact to help explain things to Freerider here.) So, to help them avoid facing such speculation, I started this thread. It's really that simple. If you are not bothered at all when people indulge in such speculations about you, then there is no reason for you to follow any of this advice.

18. Freerider

Freerider Active Member

What makes you think I don't already have one?

That would reveal your adoration.

19. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

That's me, except instead of flip flops I have a pair of steel toed workboots. I added a pair of AE Sanfords to my collection today though. Really, I don't give a shit if people think I am gay, a lot of people already do since I dress nice by their standards (although I know I don't dress nice by the standards of your average SFer, at least not yet).

I wouldn't worry. There's nothing gay about workboots.

[​IMG]

20. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Once again, all theory, no practice, eh, Manton? Step out of 1939 and realize gay men aren't flaming stereotypes. From my observations, the suit most loved by gay men is BLACK. Solid BLACK. With notch lapels. The next time you see a guy in a black suit, think to yourself, "Odds are good that guy is gay."

[​IMG]

"You call me gay in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."

And don't even suggest this to Mr. Blonde or there'll be a Steeler's Wheel inspired bloodbath.