1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailored Clothing Widely Considered Gay

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Manton, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

While this thread is not about shoes per se, I note that the shoes worn with the posted enseble are brown suede. Suede is supremely gay.

You probably have a GAY Velvet Sportcoat too with your little suede shoes[​IMG]

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Damn Lumberjacks are gay too:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That's really disturbing.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

That's really disturbing.

[​IMG]
    Urologists use that picture in presentations all the time. Twisted Lot.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

People wearing that suit in the first pic Manton are so gay, they might as well play jazz flute.

5. vonwotan

vonwotan Member

Hmmm... You seem to have described the mainstays of my wardrobe, and I am currently shopping for another pair of brown suede bals... How ever will I break it to my girlfriend? More than six years together an me gay that whole time!

Had I known this earlier in life I might have saved myself quite a lot of trouble and, perhaps, money.

As with the OBTC thread, I present you with a near perfect storm. If the ensemble is (as Freud would say) "overdeterimined" to look gay, that is not because I am trying to stack the deck, but merely because I want to be sure that the point gets across.

The suit is not solid. This in itself is not gay. But the only proper non-gay pattern is a pin stripe. Nailhead is gay. Windowpanes are gay. Double windowpanes are way gay. Double dot windowpanes are gay, gay, gay. Nailhead with a double dot windowpane is just FLAMING.

The vest is gay. "What?!" you say, recoiling in horror and disbelief. But I am afraid so. Real MEN do not wear vests. Ask yourself this: When was the last time the vest was widely popular? Answer: the late 70s and early 80s. What did the catalogue models who wore them look like? Wild, wavy hair, handlebar moustaches, suspicious twinkles in their eyes, big bright smiles. I.e., gay. That association has stuck, and it will never go away. In fact, that's why the vest is dead. To breeders, anyway.

SB peak: oh so swish. It may have been a hetero favorite in the '30s, but that was back when even Noel Coward was in the closet. Since the homos came out, they have taken it over. MEN wear SB notch. The width of the lapel is especially gay. We all know that gay guys (except maybe the buffed Chelsea boys) have to compensate for their essentially girly nature. It's similar to the way middle aged underendowed guys buy extremely expensive, extremely fast cars. Gay guys get wide peaked lapels. This is so well known I really didn't even have to mention it.

The only thing gayer than a pink shirt is a lavender shirt. The high collar is reminiscent of Oscar Wilde; need any more be said about that?

Purple used to be the color of royalty. Now it is the color of homosexuality. Purple ties are in fact a secret sign. That's how they communicate with each other. The bold woven pattern is just icing on the cake. As we all know, subtlety is lost on gays. Dimples, as noted in a prior thread, are gay. Even gayer is to skew the dimple off to one side a little. A centered dimple is the hallmark of a nerd, and everyone knows that nerds are not gay and gays are not nerds.

Finally, the pocket square. This in and of itself is gay. Real MEN do not stuff dainties into their pockets. But lavender dainties, with hand rolled edges, an white jaquard overplaids? I don't even need to make a case against this. I note in closing that this specific pocket square has been denounced by the President of the United States.

If I am wrong about any of this, I will accept corrections from mack11211. The rest of you breeders can kiss my @$$.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If I am wrong about any of this, I will accept corrections from mack11211. The rest of you breeders can kiss my @$$.
    Called out! Well! With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming. While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs. Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets. Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals. Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says. My favorite example of TCWCG remains this: [​IMG] The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling. The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it. And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Called out!

Well!

With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming.

While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs.

Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets.

Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals.

Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says.

My favorite example of TCWCG remains this:

[​IMG]

The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling.

The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it.

And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

Wanting to have or having sex with other men makes you GAY. Everything else is moot.

troop

10. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Ghey: carefree, happy, or bright and showy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Soph

Soph Senior member

Starbucks is Gay apparently

12. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Senior member

I thought the new term was METROSEXUAL? A more chic GAY..w/out the penial connotations?

my coworker said that I was a male diva, because I color coordinate
    and match my suits etc. =)

My gf actually agreed.

Fairy, Diva, Gay, Metro...if you COORdinate.and match from head to toe..
    take it as a compliment.

13. Con Biz Dresser

Con Biz Dresser Well-Known Member

Manton, do you really need to disrespect so many just to draw attention to yourself? I have not yet come to that low point of judging someone's sexual orientation because of what they wear. I could let the two Rolling Rocks I had tonight influence my judgment and make a rude comment about your overly erect lapel but I am going to stop myself there as it's late and I am already at the point of annoyance by your Howard Stern interpretations of business dress.

14. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

People wearing that suit in the first pic Manton are so gay, they might as well play jazz flute.
    Wanting to have or having sex with other men makes you GAY. Everything else is moot. troop
    Agree troop. It's not whether you play jazz flute, but whether you play skin flute that makes that determination. All kidding aside, this just a subtler extension of the standard "repression leads to homophobia". Most guys are clueless about style and fashion, so they mock the ones who have figured it out. I'm a breeder, but I've never been concerned that dressing too well was going to confuse anybody else, because I'm not confused myself. And lavender is my favorite color. Forgive me Manton, if I have misunderstood, but I've seen you post in other threads that you find the folks on this forum to be mean-spirited. How exactly is posting the word "flaming" in bold colorful letters not so? FWIW, I see the humor here....it just didn't seem consistent with your writing elsewhere.

15. Alias

Alias Senior member

So where's the flower? Flowers worn with suits are pretty gay.

16. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe "jacquard" is spelled with a "c".

17. tutee

tutee Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gay guys get wide peaked lapels.

...must you call out my wardrobe in public?

Purple used to be the color of royalty. Now it is the color of homosexuality. Purple ties are in fact a secret sign. That's how they communicate with each other. The bold woven pattern is just icing on the cake. As we all know, subtlety is lost on gays. Dimples, as noted in a prior thread, are gay. Even gayer is to skew the dimple off to one side a little. A centered dimple is the hallmark of a nerd, and everyone knows that nerds are not gay and gays are not nerds.

I think a bow-tie in purple / violet color could have done the job more satisfactorily.

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Once again, all theory, no practice, eh, Manton? Step out of 1939 and realize gay men aren't flaming stereotypes. From my observations, the suit most loved by gay men is BLACK. Solid BLACK. With notch lapels. The next time you see a guy in a black suit, think to yourself, "Odds are good that guy is gay."

(Just throwing some gas on the fire.)

19. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

From my observations, the suit most loved by gay men is BLACK. Solid BLACK. With notch lapels. The next time you see a guy in a black suit, think to yourself, "Odds are good that guy is gay."

[​IMG]

20. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

This ensemble including the square came from Manton's closet?