• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion?

Reaction score
The tailor I went to said my 38R suit jacket was way too short. I went out and bought another 38R that was an inch longer (shown below). He thinks this is still too short, especially for the purpose of the suit (an investment banking role). Other people have said that a 38R is fine on me and suggested I find another tailor. I'd really appreciate your opinion, as I'd like as good a fit as possible while staying reasonably conservative. What do you think about the length? Any other comments about the overall fit? Sorry for being so naive, I'm very new to all this but am trying to learn quickly. Couple notes: Suit pants are straight off the rack and untailored so they look funky. 4th picture is a 40L, which is too big but is the right length according to my tailor. Thoughts on this length? Thanks a lot guys
worship.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the regular. In any case, your tailor shouldn't dictate your style.

tgt465

Reaction score
38R looks okay to me. If your tailor is an old European guy, you should take his opinion with a grain of salt as he probably learned the trade in a different era and may have different standards.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
38R looks okay to me. If your tailor is an old European guy, you should take his opinion with a grain of salt as he probably learned the trade in a different era and may have different standards.

Haha that's funny, because he is an older European guy. He made it seem I'd look ridiculous wearing that 38R into work the first day.

Thanks a lot for your opinions. Would be down to hear any more thoughts you have.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like he could be the wrong tailor for you. It doesn't look too short, but the button stance seems a bit high. Perhaps that's what he was referring to. Either way, the shoulders don't seem to have a perfect fit on you.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 38R is acceptable in length. In my admittedly conservative opinion, it's not ideal. It's an inch or so short of being the ideal length. The 40L is more to my liking.

Again, my preferences in such matters tend to the conservative. So, it seems, do your tailor's. But tastes do differ and there are those who prefer shorter length suit jackets. And within certain limits, that's all it is - a preference, a matter of taste, a subjective opinion. There is no objective, hard and fast rule which narrowly defines right length from wrong length, ideal from less than ideal.

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
sounds like he could be the wrong tailor for you. It doesn't look too short, but the button stance seems a bit high. Perhaps that's what he was referring to. Either way, the shoulders don't seem to have a perfect fit on you.
Agreed. The jacket actually seems a little large. You probably need a 37R (good luck finding that OTR).

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 38 is more than long enough I think. Find a new tailor, because these "stylistic" issue could come up often.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 38R is fine but a backside pic on the 40L would help.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Agreed. The jacket actually seems a little large. You probably need a 37R (good luck finding that OTR).

I'm a longish 39. It sucks.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
The 38R is acceptable in length. In my admittedly conservative opinion, it's not ideal. It's an inch or so short of being the ideal length. The 40L is more to my liking. Again, my preferences in such matters tend to the conservative. So, it seems, do your tailor's. But tastes do differ and there are those who prefer shorter length suit jackets. ...
I'm in this camp. But if I read the OP correctly, it wasn't the tailor who suggested finding someone else.

Reaction score
Appreciate all the great advice. Will definitely go to another tailor to get a 2nd opinion.

Yeah, it seems like I'm right inbetween an R and L...kinda sucks. Weird thing is, the tailor said everything else fits great. But reading what you guys are saying, it seems like I need parts taken in a bit.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
The 38 is more than long enough I think. Find a new tailor, because these "stylistic" issue could come up often.

agreed....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics