• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
But if I read the OP correctly, it wasn't the tailor who suggested finding someone else.
You're right. I don't know how I misread that; I blame it on the Evelyn Wood Speed Skimming course I once took.

I've edited my post accordingly.

Iyor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Rule of thumb is to cover your butt, but you can get by with less if you're short or the suit is double breasted.

My tailor said pretty much the same thing , jacket should cover the family jewels. Today the style seems to be shorter jackets so like mentioned if your using an older European tailor you may have some differences.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Rule of thumb is to cover your butt.

I continue to believe this is always a good idea.
laugh.gif

Reaction score
I happened to just get my hands on a 38L and took a few pictures. Would you say this is more acceptable than the 38R for conservative business wear? Or should I just stick with the 38R? I'm sure the tailor would love this one
lol8[1].gif
Also, this is a much lower quality suit so I'd rather not have to keep it just because of the size. Does it look crappy upon first glance? Thanks

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designer.genes
I happened to get my hands on a 38L and took a few pictures. Would you say this is more acceptable than the 38R for conservative business wear? Or should I just stick with the 38R? I'm sure the tailor would love this one
lol8[1].gif
Also, this is a much lower quality suit so I'd rather not have to keep it just because of the size. Does it look crappy upon first glance? Thanks

Yes, too long. Wear a 38R. It also looks too big. What height and weight are you? I'm 6'2 and mostly wear regulars... that are on the longer side. edit- I went back and looked at the pics from the first page. I'm not really impressed with the fit or look of any of them actually. What brand are they and how much are you paying?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor is old European guy too, and he doesn't understand me when I ask him to do 2" cuff for my flat front slacks. He always says he never saw a single man with 2" cuff in his flat front pants.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Yes, too long. Wear a 38R. It also looks too big. What height and weight are you? I'm 6'2 and mostly wear regulars... that are on the longer side.

edit- I went back and looked at the pics from the first page. I'm not really impressed with the fit or look of any of them actually. What brand are they and how much are you paying?

I'm 6'1 and about 175, but have narrow shoulders as you can see.

Thanks for the honest opinion about the suits. The first one is a Baroni (sp?) that belongs to a friend. I was thinking about ordering one for myself. The second one is a Tommy Hilfiger that I got off Gilt for $200 just to try out the 38L. Expected it to be pretty bad quality
frown.gif

Any brand recommendations for around the $400-500 price range?

Also, it seems like old European tailors have somewhat different tastes than the people on SF huh?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'1 and about 175, but have narrow shoulders as you can see.

Thanks for the honest opinion about the suits. The first one is a Baroni (sp?) that belongs to a friend. I was thinking about ordering one for myself. The second one is a Tommy Hilfiger that I got off Gilt for $200 just to try out the 38L. Expected it to be pretty bad quality
frown.gif

Any brand recommendations for around the $400-500 price range?

Also, it seems like old European tailors have somewhat different tastes than the people on SF huh?

It's kinda weird that you're 6'1 175 but seem to be too small for a 38R... at 6'1, you can easily do most regulars, I wouldn't even think about longs... but that's just me (unless they're short).

For 400-500 dollars, you can easily hit up B&S or ebay once you've got your measurements down. Don't look at Baroni, Tommy hilfiger, or anything like that. The bigger sizes are easier to find at good prices, but it doesn't mean you can't find one in your size.

chet31

Reaction score
I think the the coat in pics 1-3 is long enough - but something about the coat in pic 4, it seems to hang better.

facet

Reaction score
I happened to just get my hands on a 38L and took a few pictures. Would you say this is more acceptable than the 38R for conservative business wear? Or should I just stick with the 38R? I'm sure the tailor would love this one
lol8[1].gif

Also, this is a much lower quality suit so I'd rather not have to keep it just because of the size. Does it look crappy upon first glance?

Thanks

I agree that it's too long; it looks ill fitting at first glance.

In regards to your price range, I just purchased an ehaberdasher suit based on the positive reviews, so that could be an option for you.

BlackBond

Reaction score
The 40 is ideal for you. It should just cover your but and crotch which I think it does. If you have a longish torso and broad shoulder then I feel that a reg would look a tad silly. the fourth picture at the beginning of the post look ok to me.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
I see how from the direct back view that it can be too short, as compared to your broad shoulders it looked like it can be a smidge longer. But not much really that is fine.

E TF

Reaction score
I have two rules of thumb about coat length.
The first is to stand naturally with your arms by your sides and gently cup your fingers. You should be able just to touch the bottom of the coat - if you can't and have to lift your arms a bit, it's too short; if it bunches up in your hands it's too long.
The second is that the amount of coat on show above the buttoning point should be very roughly equal to the amount below. Try this on some of the pics in the "what are you wearing right now" thread - cover up first the bottom half of the photo (from the buttoning point down) with your hand and admire the top half of the coat, then move your hand and cover up the top half. The guys in short coats will suddenly seem all off balance - too much shoulder and not enough skirt. The well dressed guys will reveal the balance inherent in their outfit. This is just as much about getting the buttoning point right as it is overall length, and varies according to your stature and the exact location of your waist etc. But as I say, it's a good rough rule of thumb. Both look better in the 40L on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads