• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor smoked my jacket!

pandionknight

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. This is my first post here.

I'm relatively new to the sartorial life having gradually improved my wardrobe over the last couple of years. I've learnt a lot reading blogs. Last week I decided to take a corduroy jacket I had bought second hand into a tailor to have the plastic buttons (a couple were missing) replaced with a full set of horn ones. Having researched the cost of a set of horn blazer buttons, I was pleasantly surprised at what I thought was a very reasonable fee.

Today I collected the jacket and whilst pleased with the work done, my wife noticed the strong smell of it when we got home and asked me whether the jacket had smelled of smoke before I took it to the tailor? It never had, we don't smoke and I'd not worn it out anywhere.

It is a small tailor's shop. As far as I know he works alone and I can only assume that he smokes while he works. This has been my first experience with a tailor and I'm not sure how to proceed?

Shane

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dry clean it.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he did a good job, who cares. The mild smoke smell will go away after a few wearings.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have a steamer steam your jacket. Steam removes most odors from wool.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Are you sure it didn't smell when you bought it, since you bought it second hand. I can't imagine a tailor smoking while working.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aldehyde
Are you sure it didn't smell when you bought it, since you bought it second hand. I can't imagine a tailor smoking while working.

In a small shop? Why not? After he closes and before he opens, he probably lights up a doobie!

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aldehyde

It happens. An aquaintance once recommended a good tailor but warned me that he smokes like a chimney while he works.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just let it air out. The smell will go away.

Mike

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised at everyone's response. I would be pissed and have him pay for drycleaning.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
I'm a bit surprised at everyone's response. I would be pissed and have him pay for drycleaning.

+1.

-LR

DGstyles

Reaction score

fing02[1].gif

Exactly my thoughts.

ebmk3891

Reaction score

while I agree with you, I doubt he would pay for it especially if he's smoking while working. I guess you would need to catch him first hand.

coldnyt1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
If he did a good job, who cares. The mild smoke smell will go away after a few wearings.

you are right.. DRY CLEAN.. make sure to find a good one.....

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thrifted cotton corduroy ... you can probably wash on delicate cycle, no spin, and then lay flat or hang dry ... if you have a quality washer ... or you can just hang it up outside on a covered porch on a damp day, and leave it there a few days ... maybe take it down and shake it once or twice ... the smell will go away

would not dry clean, would not be an ass to the tailor ... not worth getting bent out of shape for smoke in a cord blazer.

you could have worn it to a bar and come away in the same situation.

don't use the tailor again if this really bothers you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics