Tailor smoked my jacket!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pandionknight, Jan 28, 2011.

1. pandionknight

pandionknight New Member

Hello Everyone. This is my first post here.

I'm relatively new to the sartorial life having gradually improved my wardrobe over the last couple of years. I've learnt a lot reading blogs. Last week I decided to take a corduroy jacket I had bought second hand into a tailor to have the plastic buttons (a couple were missing) replaced with a full set of horn ones. Having researched the cost of a set of horn blazer buttons, I was pleasantly surprised at what I thought was a very reasonable fee.

Today I collected the jacket and whilst pleased with the work done, my wife noticed the strong smell of it when we got home and asked me whether the jacket had smelled of smoke before I took it to the tailor? It never had, we don't smoke and I'd not worn it out anywhere.

It is a small tailor's shop. As far as I know he works alone and I can only assume that he smokes while he works. This has been my first experience with a tailor and I'm not sure how to proceed?

Shane

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Dry clean it.

3. rioni

rioni Senior member

If he did a good job, who cares. The mild smoke smell will go away after a few wearings.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you have a steamer steam your jacket. Steam removes most odors from wool.

5. Aldehyde

Aldehyde Senior member

Are you sure it didn't smell when you bought it, since you bought it second hand. I can't imagine a tailor smoking while working.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Are you sure it didn't smell when you bought it, since you bought it second hand. I can't imagine a tailor smoking while working.

In a small shop? Why not? After he closes and before he opens, he probably lights up a doobie!

7. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

It happens. An aquaintance once recommended a good tailor but warned me that he smokes like a chimney while he works.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Just let it air out. The smell will go away.

Mike

9. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

I'm a bit surprised at everyone's response. I would be pissed and have him pay for drycleaning.

10. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I'm a bit surprised at everyone's response. I would be pissed and have him pay for drycleaning.

+1.

-LR

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

+1.

-LR

x2

12. DGstyles

DGstyles Senior member

[​IMG]

Exactly my thoughts.

13. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

while I agree with you, I doubt he would pay for it especially if he's smoking while working. I guess you would need to catch him first hand.

14. coldnyt1

coldnyt1 Well-Known Member

If he did a good job, who cares. The mild smoke smell will go away after a few wearings.

you are right.. DRY CLEAN.. make sure to find a good one.....

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

thrifted cotton corduroy ... you can probably wash on delicate cycle, no spin, and then lay flat or hang dry ... if you have a quality washer ... or you can just hang it up outside on a covered porch on a damp day, and leave it there a few days ... maybe take it down and shake it once or twice ... the smell will go away

would not dry clean, would not be an ass to the tailor ... not worth getting bent out of shape for smoke in a cord blazer.

you could have worn it to a bar and come away in the same situation.

don't use the tailor again if this really bothers you