• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor & Shoemaker in Bulgaria -- Need Help

newtrane

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My girlfriend an I will be travelling in Bulgaria in a couple of weeks.

I am looking for good local tailors and/or shoemakers in Sofia (or any other city in Bulgaria) and would very much appreciate any recommendations.

Many thanks for your help and kindest regards!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a few years ago I spent quite a bit of time in Sofia, I never ran into any tailor or shoemakers.

one thing that I would suggest is the flea market by the parliment building - they sell great fountain pens and cane swords there - both were produced in sofia.

Mentos

Reaction score
Be very careful about quality--I would not say that Bulgaria has a strong tradition of fine tailoring, much less shoemaking. At best, you'll get what you pay for, nothing more. The cloth will be imported, and the labor isn't all that cheap. And make sure it'll be ready on time.

I would stick to the nice nature and the fresh produce, but that's just me.

S

sdfas5342

well my company is sending me there for 1 year so i guess i have some time ahead of me

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
You need local contacts to find the good tailors in a city such as Sofia. These tailors don't advertise, but they have loyal clients who know good value when they see it and have learned how to work with an often cantankerous artisan. Their shops are often little holes-in-the-wall littered with scraps of material, paper patterns, and soap scraps for marking the pattern. But once you've found a good one, you'll enjoy the results greatly.

I spent eleven years in Almati, Kazakstan, and I found a very good local tailor by asking a couple well-dressed men (our company president and an American diplomat) where they had their suits made. They both recommended the same tailor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cluster2600
well my company is sending me there for 1 year so i guess i have some time ahead of me

good luck. it can be an interesting city. if you are single, you are really in luck.

the bar of the hotel on the parliment square, I belive it may be a sofitel, used to be where the ex-pats hung out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.