Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor Said Suit Jacket Doesn't Need to be Taken in - Is he correct?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by champ49er, Mar 24, 2012.

1. champ49er

champ49er Member

I have a new job starting in a week and I brought 6 new suits to the tailor. I told him I needed them done before my start date. I got all the same brand/fit suits in a 44L (I'm 6'0" / 210 lbs). I'm not sure if it's because I told him I needed 6 suits altered in a week that he said the jacket doesn't need to be taken in. His reasoning was that the jacket was fine as it is.

Since all 6 suits are with him right now, I took these photos with the 7th suit that I'm contemplating on returning. I'm not sure why my right lower back is shifting, maybe it's my shirt. Based on these photos, do I need to take in my suit jacket?

EDIT: Please see post #15 to see the grey 42L. Is this a better fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does the trouser waist fit?

Did you try one size smaller when you bought these?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

3. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

the jacket looks to big in general... you should have gotten a 42L

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

The shoulders on the jacket seem a nudge too large. I think the jacket could be taken in, but he might be hesitant b/c it would exagerrate the slightly large shoulders and the drape would be off.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

expertise:

you << your tailor <<<<<< we

you probably could have done better sizing down

6. champ49er

champ49er Member

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I do have broad shoulders. I'm not exactly bodybuilder built, but usually when I meet people, they always ask me if I work out. Maybe that is causing the appearance of the large shoulders on the suit? I didn't try on the 42L, but now I regret not doing. I'm going back to the store to try on the 42L and see how it looks and feels.

The trousers are a 38W, but I usually wear a 36W. I had the tailor reduce it by a about an inch so it feels comfortable.

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Active Member

The seat fits well, so you needed 44L, the probelm is that the waiste and the back is to big. To fix this problem the back panel needs to be taken in at least 3/4 inch on each side accross the back and therefore the sleeves refitted and both sleeves removed. This involves alot of work that most tailors will not bother with. This is why I suggest if you want the perfect fit to go for a custom made or Bespoke suit. It may cost you a little more but for your height and weight it will be difficult for you to find the perfect fit off the rack.

Rudolf Popradi, Bespoke master tailor
    www.rudolfpopradi.com.

8. sns23

sns23 Senior member

why? isn't is already a little late since you dropped of all the other suits for tailoring?

9. champ49er

champ49er Member

He is not doing any alterations to the jacket which is why I started this thread -- to determine if I should have the jacket taken in after I get the suits back. The big dilemma was I needed my new wardrobe for my new job in time. Once I get my suits, I figured I can have one suit at the talilor for waist suppression each time when I start my new job.

10. Despos

42L would have a 36 trouser waist. Thinking you bought the wrong size. You may have broad shoulders but that is the big problem here, the shoulders are too big and the back too wide. these are the two things you want to fit from the get go and not alter.

You need a pad on the right shoulder, Your right shoulder is much lower than the left.

11. champ49er

champ49er Member

The frustrating part is that I got measured three times and all three measurements had me at a 44. The 44R had very short sleeves which is why I went 44L. I'm going to try on some 42L suits tonight just to compare and knowledge for future suit purchases.

12. Despos

If you try on 44's form 6 different makers they will all fit differently because the ease in the chest, shoulder slope, shoulder width will all vary. I measure a 42 chest but can wear 40 or sometimes 38 even, depends on the cut.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

The thing looks way too big but do not ignore Despos' thoughts. Cut is all. I would suggest taking this lot back whence they came (you do not identify the culprit) and then going somewhat up market. I struggle to believe that you need six suits in one go and ins such short order. You should take a more measured approach.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Suits appear to be CK.

15. champ49er

champ49er Member

So I just got back from Nordstrom Rack. Yes, they are all Calvin Klein suits. The good news is the tailor over at Nordstrom didn't start on my six 44L suits yet, so I was able to cancel the alterations.

I bought a few 42L and I'm going to take GBR's advice and just go with a 3 suit rotation for now since it's my first time wearing a suit daily and I just got a new job. I think I went overboard with the new job and all.

What I like about the 42L is the trousers are already 36W, so no need to adjust the trouser's waist. I really like the feel of the 42L, but the tailor over at the Rack said that my large shoulders are causing my arms (triceps) to pop out more. Could you guys take a look at these pictures of the 42L and let me know if I should go with these? I still don't know why my right shoulder appears to be lower. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]