• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor ruined my suit. Help, need advice!!

dopemine

Reaction score
So i took my suit to get tailored slimmer, and i come back the next week, the suit's double vent is missing! She told me that the only way to take in the waist to be made slimmer is to remove the vent.....zzzzzzzz So I am in a screwed now, there are no vents whatsoever on my suit and it looks awkward. I asked her if she could just cut down the middle to make a single vent to compromise, she said there was not enough material to make a vent. This totally ruined my day, I don't see how you can't just cut down the middle to make a single vent, it doesn't appear to be a difficult task.

My question is, can I still save my suit and find another tailor to make a double or single vent? I prefer to have a double.

Thanks guys

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
afaik, there is no way to add a vent after the fact unless there are much more seam allowances than usual (and even then I'm not sure)
The reason being that a vent is not just a **** in the fabric but actually two sides that overlap each other by at least an inch. I believe Manton has a comprehensive post somewhere detailing the reasoning behind this.

ETA:
Maybe whatever your tailor did can be undone? depending on how destructive it was. Better ask her before you mess around with it more.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopemine
This totally ruined my day, I don't see how you can't just cut down the middle to make a single vent, it doesn't appear to be a difficult task.

A vent is not just a **** in the fabric. It has to have an overlap, or it would part at the slightest movement. Thus, if there's not a fair bit of additional fabric, it can't be added.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i took my suit to get tailored slimmer, and i come back the next week, the suit's double vent is missing! She told me that the only way to take in the waist to be made slimmer is to remove the vent.....zzzzzzzz So I am in a screwed now, there are no vents whatsoever on my suit and it looks awkward. I asked her if she could just cut down the middle to make a single vent to compromise, she said there was not enough material to make a vent. This totally ruined my day, I don't see how you can't just cut down the middle to make a single vent, it doesn't appear to be a difficult task.

My question is, can I still save my suit and find another tailor to make a double or single vent? I prefer to have a double.

Thanks guys

Odd... So your tailor took the harder way of taking in the waist, by taking it in from the sides rather than the center seam (is there a center seam?). Then, she was too lazy to take in the sides of the vents so she just stitched the whole thing up. That's worse than my tailor mishap, where they just folded the sides in looking like crap.

I'm sorry for your experience. I would demand that she replace the cost of the jacket if she didn't tell you she was going to sew up the vents.

dopemine

Reaction score
thanks for your response guys, I was thinking, can a tailor take in the waist a bit more so that the fabric from the sides may somehow overlap and create a double vent OR maybe somehow cut down from the center back and create an overlap? Whatever she did, it cannot be undone because she claims she already removed much of the material.

It kinda bothers me to wear a ventless jacket, it seems very cheesy and plain wrong.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds awful. I hope you voiced your displeasure.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys

I have bolded your issue.

Seriously though, how did she close the vents? If there is still material leftover I imagine that it could possibly be reversible...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting member sho'nuff to sell this suit?

- B

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kinda bothers me to wear a ventless jacket, it seems very cheesy and plain wrong.

There is nothing cheesy or wrong about a ventless jacket. Ask Jimmy Stewart. Now, I like vents, because I always have a hand in one pocket or the other, but if I found a jacket that I really liked with no vents, I wouldn't mind.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
There is nothing cheesy or wrong about a ventless jacket. Ask Jimmy Stewart. Now, I like vents, because I always have a hand in one pocket or the other, but if I found a jacket that I really liked with no vents, I wouldn't mind.

agree.
A vent imho is more about practicality than style. Ventless is a very classic understated look, so anything but cheesy.

Still, removing the vents in a jacket seems pretty drastic and she should have at least explained it beforehand. Hell, next time she might turn your DB into a SB
wink.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get a T-Square and cut it yourself!
Seriously.....that tailor sux!!! Get some signs and boycott and protest in front of the store for a week!

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling Judge Wapner right now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads