• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor Recommendations for Montreal, Canada

andrewm1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a tailor to do some alterations on some suits suit (possibly expanding the waist, shortening a jacket, etc.) in the Montreal area. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who might be good? The last real thread I could find on this was from 2004, so I'm hoping someone might have found someone since then (since the conclusion of the last thread seemed to be "there isn't anyone") In particular, the only real tailors the friends I asked knew were H Padar on Ste. Catherines, and rard Mayeu and Son in Plateau-Mont-Royale. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Thanks, Andrew

holo

Reaction score
Roland Dagenais-Tailleur-Inc
1172, Place Phillips, Montreal, QC H3B 3C8
(514) 866-6031 ‎

or

Russell Chemises Sur Mesure & Tailleurs
2175 Rue de la Montagne, MontrÃ
00a9.png
al, QC H3G1Z8
(514) 844-8874 ‎

maybe
G. Tonino Tailors
6282 St-Hubert
Montreal, QC H2S 2M2

papito

Reaction score
Due to a dearth of 'made on the premises' bespoke tailors in Ottawa I searched the web for Montreal and settled on G.Tonino largely because of their prolific, rather sophisticated looking advertisements. I had my own Zegna fabric and chose Tonino to make a sports jacket. Disappointing.
Very charming reception, friendly atmosphere. However, the first warning sign came with the first fitting when the garment proved to be cut too tightly rather than the conventional first fitting oversizing. Although this was rectified by the final fitting the garment simply did not sit right for a bespoke garment; somehow it lacked balance. When I returned home I went over all measurements and then found the source of this imbalance : it was cut an inch shorter than was originally agreed. Even if this could be rectified -which cannot be done without profoundly altering the front of the jacket -I felt that so elemental a mistake ruled out any further dealings with the company. I left a complaint but there was no response. Basically a waste of fabric, time and money.

noxlord

Reaction score
Pellegrino Castronovo Couture
5025, avenue Papineau
00a9.png
l.: 514 316-MENS

Russell chemises sur mesure et tailleurs
2175, rue de la Montagne
00a9.png
l.: 514 844-8874

Harry Rosen
1455, rue Peel
00a9.png
l.: 514 284-3315

Waxman
4605, avenue du Parc
00a9.png
l.: 514 845-8826

Source

I also need a Taylor in the Montreal area, some feedback, like papito's bad experience with G.Tonino. I don'T want to waste y time like he did.

kasper007

Reaction score
I have used this guy extensively (for work similar to what the OP is need of) and the work has always been phenomenal, would highly recommend.

lterations Paul
1255, Rue Du Square-Phillips
Montreal, QC H3B 3G1, Canada
(514) 847-1099

noxlord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrewm1
Hi,

I'm looking for a tailor to do some alterations on some suits suit (possibly expanding the waist, shortening a jacket, etc.) in the Montreal area. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who might be good?

The last real thread I could find on this was from 2004, so I'm hoping someone might have found someone since then (since the conclusion of the last thread seemed to be "there isn't anyone")

In particular, the only real tailors the friends I asked knew were H Padar on Ste. Catherines, and rard Mayeu and Son in Plateau-Mont-Royale. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Thanks,
Andrew

Well, I just had 2 shirts altered at GÃ
00a9.png
rard Mayeu and son. Actually, his son does not work with him anymore, he hired a Filipino taylor to help him instead. I wanted him to alter my shirts to make them slimmer. I am no expert, but he only darted lots of fabric in the back, nothing in the front so the side seam is now twisted toward the back.

I also wanted him to take a look at my new Baroni suit for the fit, It's my first suit so I thought I would ask... He barely looked at it and said the fit was fine.

To sum it up, I don't recommend this Taylor.

Ls9

Reaction score
There is this tailor that comes to Canada often from Bangkok by the name of Excelsior

I recently got an email from friend that they will be in the region from the 20th of April to first week of april.
He had made clothes form them last year and i have seen the work.
It is really great and price run from 300 to 500 dollars for a suit only in wool.

I am in touch with them and look forward meeting them soon.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noxlord
Well, I just had 2 shirts altered at GÃ
00a9.png
rard Mayeu and son. Actually, his son does not work with him anymore, he hired a Filipino taylor to help him instead. I wanted him to alter my shirts to make them slimmer. I am no expert, but he only darted lots of fabric in the back, nothing in the front so the side seam is now twisted toward the back.

I also wanted him to take a look at my new Baroni suit for the fit, It's my first suit so I thought I would ask... He barely looked at it and said the fit was fine.

To sum it up, I don't recommend this Taylor.

My tailor is Pellegrino Castronovo on Papineau near St-Joseph, they are young and talented and more importantly they actually listen and make beautiful bespoke suits and also shirts, they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for...

dibenetto

Reaction score
we do some decent work in montreal, we're located on Decarie Blvd right off the highway from downtown, we just opened last week and we use the best guys left in town.

here's the details:

BENSON & BROWN Tailors

6529 Decarie Blvd, montreal

tel: 514 344 3189

there is another guy that does amazing work few blocks from us:

NICK tailleur

he's on queen mary street, dunno the exact address, but very reliable and competent as well (not cheap but not overly expensive)

mccvi

Reaction score
h. padar.

highly recommended for alterations. cannot speak to bespoke.

MarkTheTailor

Reaction score
Hi there!

Although it has been a while since you posted this thread, I just want to let you know in case you'll need a tailor in the future.
We have been around in Montreal's fashion world since 1974 and let me assure you- we know our stuff! We do the tailoring for most high-end clothing stores downtown (men and women).

We deal with all sorts of intricate and delicate clothing, and always deliver professional service. As you must know the real tailoring art is a dying one, and we are only a few left around the city.

We are on trendy street Crescent, downtown Montreal (corner Ste-Catherine)

L'Atelier Tailleur Mark
1260 Crescent suite 105
(514) 876-1066

Should you have any needs for alterations or clothes repair, no that we will be there to give you the best services possible.

Sincerely,

Mark

http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAtelier-Tailleur-Mark/160480490702880
http://videotron.trouvetout.ca/en/b/atelier-tailleur-mark-inc-l

domenickb

Reaction score
I've been a customer of G. Tonino for 3 years now and his bespoke suits have officially taken over my closet.

He has also done alterations and outwear for me.

KodakKid

Reaction score
I've been to mayeu tailleur yesterday and the service was mediocre !

I was passing by and want to look at what they had to offer, the lady told me first hand that it was all custom work and I couldn't see what they have to offer unless I ordered something because once again, here it's custom work. I let it go,I asked about how they were working, prices, fabrics. once again she told me that I couldn't look because it's was all custom. I was getting pretty annoyed with that answer and prepare to leave went mister mayeu took her place and answer my questions. His service was good, he showed me his fabric, some orders he made for client etc. Service was good, quality was not impressive but not so bad depending on the styling but he's really cheap so for the price it was an option I could try.

I told him I had to left because I had an appointment but will be back after so we could discuss more maybe try him by ordering a custom shirt. After my appointement, I went back to the store. They were busy so I look at fabric booklet they had for around 10 min and we were 2 clients. Me, waiting for 10 mins and a customer that just entered the store. M. Mayer just finished with his client and went to ask who he could help, I move to talk to him and before I could talk, the "nice" lady told him to serve the other customer. At that point, I just smile to myself at how stupid this situation was and left.

That was my experience ...

I will be looking at Tailleur Mark and Benson&Brown. How their work ? Someone has experience to share ??

hudsonbay

Reaction score
Burning question - good tailor in Montreal, after sporadic searches and recommendations from different sources the question remains unanswered.
Personal experience with one of the recommendations - Nick tailleur was so so.
Gerard Mayeu - you get what you pay for - don't expect him spending time on details.
Next I would probably try Mark, the tailor, I bought a suit from them few years back it was a super cheap S.Cohen which they probably just flipped from some overstock place, it didn't require any alterations, but they did look like a professional shop with the nice setup and were very nice guys there.
It's really interesting how in the place like Montreal, home to samuelsohn, jack victor, empire, s.cohen end apparently great clothing manufacturing tradition, it's impossible to find a place to alter your clothes properly.
What about a member of this forum who is originally from Montreal and was working for one of the top North American suit manufacturers and now somewhere in Chicago and working for one of the top North American suite manufacturers, any suggestions from him?
Let's do it people, there must be someone?!
What about Clusier on McGill str. they advertise tailor in house?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads