• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor questions

Silentblue

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a wool coat(polyester on the inside) tailored so it can be more slim fitting: skinny arms, chest and sides hugging onto body. The coat is already a small but it's not slim fitting. Anyway, the point of my thread is that I was wondering how much it would cost me to get that done since I'm low on money at the moment and I don't want to go into a tailor and look like an idiot when I can't fork over the money. The only price I know that he charges is $12 for a hem on jeans...but other than that
confused.gif
...any ideas anyone? Thanks. edit - i have a new question, scroll down please

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does depend. Waist suppression alone can run around 20-40, depending on the tailor. What you're talking about, though, is a lot more complicated. Slimming the arms, suppressing the waist, and narrowing the armholes is pretty close to recutting the coat, which can cost a fair bit more. Your best bet, really, is to just talk to your tailor. If you can't afford what needs to be done, you can't afford it. Any businessman who would begrudge you that is a jackass and not worth your time, let alone your money.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The armholes probably cannot be changed, but slimming the sleeves and taking in the sides are fairly routine alterations. They will probably cost at least $50. If you don't want to ask in person for fear of embarassment, give them a call and ask how much it would take to do those two operations.

Max

Reaction score
In the future, make sure your coats fit the way you want throught the arms and shoulders, as they're rather difficult to modify.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have a similar question. How many inches can the waist of a coat be slimmed down? I'm sure it varies between brands, cuts, etc. But just a general idea would be helpful.

Silentblue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
In the future, make sure your coats fit the way you want throught the arms and shoulders, as they're rather difficult to modify.

Yeah, it was a hand me down from my brother though, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silentblue
Yeah, it was a hand me down from my brother though, so I'm trying to make the best of it.
Unless the jacket has sentimental value or is very valuable, it's probably not worth it. For the arms, waist, and chest, you're looking probably somewhere north of $200. Shoulders are such a ***** to alter that it's not worth doing.

Like Max said, the number one thing to look for as far is fit is the shoulders. Everything else can be changed more easily, and if the shoulders don't fit, it doesn't matter how much you fix the other areas, it's going to look off.

radix

Reaction score
What you want is possible, but it's very hard to get it done anywhere in the US. I just went to a tailor and asked him to take in the waist of a blazer, but he's only willing to take in the the back seam, not at side seams. The latter is the better method I believe (will not throw off the balance of the coat). It seems like he tries to get away with charging me $20 for little work.

I am kind of desperate about this. If you want an alteration to be done properly it takes time, and time=money as we all know.

Possible solutions to the problem?

1. An Asian-based online alterations tailor (comparable to Jantzen) to whom you could mail your coat, describing exactly what alterations you want to be done. Sounds complicated, but might be the cheapest option. If anybody knows about a tailor like this, please let us know.

2. Do It Yourself. Taking a coat apart and sewing it back together is not too hard, as long as you have a basic idea of keeping proportions intact. The problem is that I don't have a sewing machine and don't even know how to use one. Is hand stitching an option for those of us who have plenty of time to waste? If so, where can I find a good introduction to sewing?

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radix

2. Do It Yourself. Taking a coat apart and sewing it back together is not too hard, as long as you have a basic idea of keeping proportions intact. The problem is that I don't have a sewing machine and don't even know how to use one. Is hand stitching an option for those of us who have plenty of time to waste? If so, where can I find a good introduction to sewing?

I would not advise this option...

Silentblue

Reaction score
Bumping this thread again because I have a new question D: I stopped by a thrift store today and found this Japanese school boy type jacket and thought it was pretty awesome and fits pretty well, The problem though, it's too damn long, :sweatdrop: Can a tailor cut it short? Like this, dont mind the weird slant up, it should be straight but it was hard to hold it straight
frown.gif
edit - how much should i expect?
frown.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
The armholes probably cannot be changed, but slimming the sleeves and taking in the sides are fairly routine alterations. They will probably cost at least $50. If you don't want to ask in person for fear of embarassment, give them a call and ask how much it would take to do those two operations.
You can raise the armholes, although it would take a skilled tailor to do that. Also, it depends on whether there was extra cloth tucked away in the jacket for that purpose.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very unlikely that there would be extra cloth in the armholes. they can be reduced in a process that makes the chest smaller, too.

As for the latest coat, the alteration, as Arethusa said, isn't a problem. It looks good, from what I can see, both short and long, and the latter might be more useful.

Max

Reaction score
The second coat would be easy.

And as a hardcore advocate of DIY alterations, I wouldn't hack up a coat that I liked. The odds are just too good that it'll be FUBAR after an hour.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
take the coat in to your tailor. tell him that you need an estimate, because you dont want to spend a lot on this coat. if he wont extend the courtesy then you dont want him for a tailor.
take this from a retired tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads