• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor Question

DocHunter

Reaction score
I have some dress shirts that have sleeves that are too long. Is this an easy thing for a tailor to fix? Should I not even bother and just buy new shirts? Would it be an expensive thing to ask for?

Thanks for the help.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shortening sleeves is an easy alteration.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very inexpensive

Patrician

Reaction score
I have a lot of shirts that are regular sizes = baggy. Can a tailor slim a shirt? Tightening the torso part and the sleeves? cheap? easy?

nGoldenm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I have a lot of shirt that are regular sizes = baggy. Can a tailor slim a shirt? Tightening the torso part and the sleeves? cheap? easy?

I would like to know this as well.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some shirts that are missing buttons. Can a tailor sew on new buttons? Is this an expensive alteration?

musicboohoo[1].gif

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had shirts slimmed up in the body and sleeves. Cost me $15. Turned out OK. I think there is a limit to how much a shirt can be altered, but a couple of inches can easily be taken out around your waist. Darts are also an option, though that is presumably a slightly bigger job (I've never had it done).
I would expect to pay $5-10 to get sleeves shortened, although there are lots of tailors who will charge more than that.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sleeves can be shortened.
If less then an inch then the cuff can be removed and reset= fairly inexpensive
if longer and the sleeve placket needs to be removed then = more expensive $15-25

slimming a body and sleeves should run $15-20.

Learn to sew your own buttons!!!!

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
sleeves can be shortened.
If less then an inch then the cuff can be removed and reset= fairly inexpensive
if longer and the sleeve placket needs to be removed then = more expensive $15-25

slimming a body and sleeves should run $15-20.

Learn to sew your own buttons!!!!

How good will the results be if I'd have the body and sleeves slimmed on my shirts?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Thanks for the info. But will moving the cuff up one inch throw off the balance of the gauntlets on shirts with sleeves that have buttonable gauntlets?

what is more important? cost vs look.
if the buttonhole is cut horizontal, then it can very hard to alter.beter shortening from the top of the sleeve.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I have a lot of shirts that are regular sizes = baggy. Can a tailor slim a shirt? Tightening the torso part and the sleeves? cheap? easy?

yes, easy, cost me $14 per shirt

aldica

Reaction score
It's easy. The tailor removes the cuff and attaches them again, on a shorter sleeve. Make sure the shirts are laundered before you have them altered, because they will shrink slightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics