• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor ques.: Double / Turn-back cuff on frayed dinner jacket modification possible?

otacon

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem with my cotton tuxedo jacket. Well, a problem that most people probably wouldn't notice anyway, but it bugs me. One of my cuffs is very slightly frayed, and while I could simply snip the frays off, there's still that little bit that's noticeable to me. And while I certainly learned to be more careful with my jackets, I'd still like to take care of it the best way possible, so I could use some advice

Allow me to describe the jacket, and if necessary I can take pictures of it. It was pretty cheap, albeit over priced in the first place.

It is a (supposedly) 100% cotton outer-shell dinner jacket (the lining is different,) with toned accents on the pockets and lapel edges (the lapels are not actual silk). The fabric has a sheen on its own, but the accents are even shinier. I know what you might be saying about how foolish purchasing a cotton tuxedo jacket was, but it's quite comfortable. I like it for some reason, but I don't have any qualms admitting that it isn't the pinnacle of refinement or that everyone should own one.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the process for normal repair would be to turn back the cuffs ever so slightly, shortening them only a very little to fold the frayed fabric in. Here's the problem I might be having on this jacket with that process, and please correct me if I am mistake:
The jacket was store bought and tailored by an independent tailor on the sleeves. I would hate to have the fit change because of this, as he already felt it necessary to cut off a sleeve button on each side (or so it seems, anyway).

I had an idea after watching Dr. No and Quantum of Solace.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And I also came across this thread asking a similar question:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=frayed+cuff

So, I'm wondering, is it likely to be possible to just cover up the fray with a turn-backed cuff? I can see how matching the accentuated cotton would be a problem for a tailor, or how opening the modified sleeves could be a problem to attach the necessary length inside of the sleeves for the cuff to double back properly.

(I don't much like the fact that it has flap pockets though, so if cutting those off would help any
)

As you can tell, I'm not very familiar with the procedure, but I have read a description of it being done when a jacket was being made, involving adding in the "cuff" material before the arm is closed all the way. I'm wondering if there might be a way to do it without having to open up the arm so very much, though I can't imagine it will be as thorough.

Also, if it is possible, how much should I expect to pay? Just to get an idea before I shop around.

Any recommendations for tailors who may specialize or do a good job at this kind of thing to whom I could send the jacket are also very much appreciated.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that you are not happy with the damaged garment, I doubt a repair will satisfy you either. As it was cheap and "not the pinnacle of refinement" I would suggest burning it and starting again.

otacon

Reaction score
I am actually pretty happy with it, but for the fray. I mentioned the pockets, but those arent much. I have no illusions of it being something incredible, but it fits and looks much more elegant than a department store tux, even though it probably came to costing less. as you can probably tell, I haven't really the income for getting something new right now.

I'll try to get pics up soon.

otacon

Reaction score
I suppose I should ask also if there is some other alteration which can be done to get rid of the fray? or if I was wrong about the standard one, how it is really done?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's