• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailor pressed my lapel roll?!

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
This is the difference in our times as to he level of good dry cleaning around. You have to search for it. Whenever I have moved to a new area I would take 5 shirts and then find 5 dry cleaners nearby and test them out. Would only set me back £20 max ($32 - dry cleaners are quite expensive here) and go with the best press, clean and service. Then test that one with a crap suit. Of they did a good job they would get my business.

Also, tell them what ou want clearly. Sadly you can't expect them to know what is in style or fashionable or what you want anymore. They see something they think wrong so they try to fix it. Communicate well and should clear up any problems.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

MarkSilber

Reaction score
So pleased to know I'm not alone requiring my cleaner to return suits & jackets with a properly rolled lapel. Never knew the difference until I had a jacket cleaned & pressed at a Hyatt hotel (Grand Cypress, Orlando, FL). Ever since seeing the difference, have worked to duplicate the magnificent look. Now, which rack suit makers deliver their product with a rolled lapel? Hickey's seems moderate...

MarkSilber

Reaction score
Pleased to know there are others who insist on a rolled lapel. Never knew the difference until I had a jacket cleaned & pressed at a Hyatt hotel (Hyatt Grand Cyrpess, Orlando). Now, I need a rack suit maker who delivers its new products with true rolled lapels. Photos of Hickey suits are "OK" on their websites, but suits on retail racks all have crushed lapels. Who makes & delivers true rolled lapels?

stubloom

Reaction score
I would bet that those suits left the factory with rolled lapels. What happens in transit and at the retailer is another story.

Unfortunately, every retailer has their "trusted" Jiffy steamer in the stock room. And a stock room associate just itching for the opportunity to wield it -- indiscriminately -- at everything in sight. Some of the larger department stores and "better" independent retailers even have professional steam/vacuum utility and pant presses in their alterations rooms. I see the fruits of their efforts almost every week. As Despos and Jeffreyd have always always reminded us: In the hands of the unskilled, steam is evil.

As regards the pressing at the hotel, I can't determine from your post whether the comment was intended to be positive or negative. I would assume negative, only because very few hotels have their own dry cleaning/finishing operations in house and, even those very few attract and retain employees who generally can't find work at "ordinary" dry cleaners.

I'd bet that 99.9% of hotels in the US subcontract their cleaning/pressing to outside contractors who "specialize" in the cheapest/fasted work in the industry. In comparison to the work produced by these subcontractors, the work produced by $2/discount cleaners is positively extraordinary.

It's for this reason that I always advise my clients to never turn their fine garments over to a hotel concierge. Furthermore, if they have no other option and they absolutely have to have something done before they return home, I always advise them to make the effort to find a cleaner in the area who might take a little more care.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never, ever found a dry cleaner that didn't press the lapels flat around here. It's so frustrating. I had to resort to using dry cleaning sprays and brushes myself...

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was having problems with my dry cleaner and consistency. They are one of several outlets that send their stuff to a main plant, but they impressed me the first few times I gave them things. I found that piping up about what it is you are looking for has helped.

They were rolling the lapel (because I had expressly told them to -- along with stuffing the sleeves with tissue, using cardboard inside the shoulders to keep the shoulders round and covering the buttons with foil) but they would force a 3/2 to a 3/3 and then attach one of those cardboard button things, which would throw off the roll quite a bit.

Once it happened a couple of times, I pointed it out and now it has not happened again. I reiterate my wishes every time I drop off a sports coat or suit and so far, so good.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the best high end mens store in your area- if there is one,
and ask which tailor they recommend. Then ask the tailor.
You might get lucky. That's how I found my alterations tailor,
who happens to be a virtuoso.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads