• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor made suit - Hoi An Vietnam Style help

Freyr

Reaction score
Hi, I've just graduated from unviersity and am going on holiday before I start working (Accountancy)
I have some off the rack suits which don't fit me all that well in certain areas and since i'm in vietnam I thought why not get some bespoke suits mades?!!

I'm staying in Hoi An for 4 days which should be enough for adjustments...

Now I have no idea about the different styles of suits or even what colours I should get, I currently own a charcoal one (although probably want a new one in this colour also)

Can you guys make some suggestions on the style and colour suits I should get (and maybe how many I should get for work!!), and if possible pics! I heard that the tailors can reproduce a suit from an image.

Now if my body shape makes any difference in style, I am:

5ft 9 inch
30 inch waist
37 Chest
(Athletic body)

Oh and I'm Chinese (Ethnically, born and live in uk) if that also makes any difference!!!

I will greatly appreciate any help that you guys give!!! Thanks!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bother - they are more likely to be absolute rubbish than not and with your non-existent knowledge you are unlikely to be able to find anything remotely decent.

There have been odd references to Vietnam here so try 'search' - you may learn of tailors and the pit falls.

Freyr

Reaction score
Yes I have researched around and some tailors are rubbish, however there are also many people who have had good suits made. In terms in fitting material etc. I am ok with these, but as I have never worn a suit before (apart from interviews) I'm not sure what style is most suitable.

And I seriously find it hard to believe (even without reading positive reviews) that EVERY tailor in vVetnam is rubbish!! Yes I may not be getting the same quality I would get from say Saville Row or somewhere similar, but then again, i'm not paying £10,000+ on it

I have already decided on the tailors that I will go to, as people have had suits made there and have recommended them...

All I need is for some style help!!!

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CAUTION!!!!!
do not order more than one suit at first. if something goes
wrong, all the suits are wrong. they are all problems.

always order one suit first. when the problems are taken
care of you can order more later with less problems.

Last edited:

Freyr

Reaction score
CAUTION!!!!!
do not order more than one suit at first. if something goes
wrong, all the suits are wrong. they are all problems.
always order one suit first. when the problems are taken
care of you can order more later with less problems.

That was my original intention! Wasn't going to order several suits without knowing!

Was going to have 1 made, (maybe 2 days or so to get right) then tell them to cody it but in other colour/fabric

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads