• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor made jacket around 1cm shorter than I asked. Should I ask them to remake?

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
Got a jacket made. Asked the tailor to copy another jacket that I'd gotten made with them. I measured both jackets and the new one is around 1cm shorter than the older one. To be honest I do notice the length difference. Would it be bad form to ask them to remake?

Paid US$500 for a whole suit.

Note that they already remade the front panel for me because they messed up the button stance (made it about 1.5cm too high).

monkey66

Reaction score
If I were unhappy with a tailor made garment I would tell the maker. Sleeve length is important.
Probably an adjustment, not a remake.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a pic and let’s see. Perhaps it’s a mistake but if it looks ok why worry.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$500? I paid $650 for a MTM suit from Chipp in New York in 1987.
It still needed alterations, since they got the pants wrong..My local
tailor did it and Chipp reimbursed. Where did you get the suit?
An outer island of Indonesia? That tailor owes you nothing!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure where you live or what's your budget. In the US, $500 for a custom suit would be considered very low. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable asking the tailor to remake or even adjust at that price.

Between the issues regarding the button stance and the length, and what I assume from the price, I would just move on.

In my experience, if the tailor doesn't deliver a good product on the first round, they are probably not a very good tailor. Since you are also not a tailor, micromanaging the process isn't going to improve the outcome. The first delivery may have some issues, and sometimes they can be fixed through adjustments, but things should be within a certain ballpark. I've both seen on this forum and experienced it myself, where a tailor delivers a bad product and the person goes back again and again, getting adjustments or doing subsequent orders, and it just ends up being a waste of time.

But it's hard to say without seeing you wear your jacket. Or knowing what $500 means where you live. It may be a fair price and maybe you got a great product that can be adjusted. From the info you've given though, I would just chalk it up to a loss and move on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads