• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailor kept my suit sleeves too long (working button holes)...any good solution?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
I cant't stand not seeing any of my shirt sleeve when wearing a suit.

Right now my suit sleeves are just a tad bit too long. I know that having working button holes really limits what you can do regarding sleeve length, but is there any way to decrease the sleeve length, even slightly, without messing with the shoulder? I am hoping for maybe a little more than 1/4th of an inch.

I am apprehensive to have my long time tailor mess with the shoulders on this suit. My understanding is that even the best tailors can have trouble doing the shortening at the shoulders and it can be very costly. Not to mention that the particular suit in question was not cheap. But....if that is my only option, I'd love to hear some success stories and references for good tailors for this in NYC.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Take in from shoulder or take in from wrist. No other way to shorten. I would take off a tiny bit from the wrists. If you told your tailor where exactly you wanted to have the sleeves end, find a new tailor. If you didn't then just keep in mind next time you need to be clear, but it's not his fault. However, this is just another reason why it's silly to have cuffs that open. No flexibility once holes are made.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have it taken in at the shoulder. A good tailor can do it and can do a fine job.

Yes it is expensive $100-$150 depending upon where you and for the best in town tailor. I'm sure you can find someone who will do it cheaper but I would pay more with the tailor with the best rep.

mlongano

Reaction score
I would think 1/4" is doable from the wrist.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it from the wrist. If it's not a lot, it won't mess up the aesthetics too much. Plus, you can always leave the last button unbuttoned.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Have it taken in at the shoulder. A good tailor can do it and can do a fine job.

Yes it is expensive $100-$150 depending upon where you and for the best in town tailor. I'm sure you can find someone who will do it cheaper but I would pay more with the tailor with the best rep.

Is that a per-sleeve or total price estimate?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An important question to ask: Does a sleeve with working buttonholes at the sleeve's edge look bad?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how much space is there between the last button and the end of the sleeve? I thought about 1.5 inches or something was standard so taking off like 0.25 shouldn't mess things up.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working button holes are generally the product of going to a decent cutter or else an affectation causing them to be added to RTW garments. It could of course be second hand.

If bespoken or even MTM then getting the sleeve length right should have been the business of your cutter/supplier.

So, if MTMN or bespoke take it back, if an alteration to RTW, get the length right first or if second hand either get a decent tailor who can alter from the shoulder or accept it as it is or sell it.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
To be honest, I am not sure who is at fault with the sleeve length issue. I had to rush out of my last fitting to get somewhere and I clearly overlooked the sleeve length when picking up the suit. That being said, there is no way, I would have been fine with such long sleeves during the fitting. Regardless, my tailor is awesome, I just stopped by his shop and he offered to bring the sleeves up at the shoulder for free. Having used him for a number of flawless jobs in the past, I feel decently comfortable that he is not going to F-up the whole suit and that the length issue was not poor tailoring but a miss-communication.

When I looked at the sleeves more closely, it was clear that .25 inches wasn't going to get it done (closer to .5 was needed) so shortening at the cuff was not really an option.

empirestate

Reaction score
Is shortening at the wrist a half-inch that noticeable?

Is there a general consensus as to what the cutoff is before one needs to short at the shoulder?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by empirestate
Is shortening at the wrist a half-inch that noticeable?

Is there a general consensus as to what the cutoff is before one needs to short at the shoulder?

Having just looked into this, I think the consensus is around .25 is the max you should shorten at a cuff if there is currently the standard 1.5 of space from the last button to the cuff.

empirestate

Reaction score
That makes sense. I was on the wrong track - wondering if the reason was due to the cut of the sleeve, not thinking about the buttonholes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huskyzealot
Regardless, my tailor is awesome, I just stopped by his shop and he offered to bring the sleeves up at the shoulder for free.

Good man! He should and he did the right thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads