• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor just told me ventless jackets in, jacket sleeve should cover shirt

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
The surprising thing was how certain the tailor was about these facts. He told me that double-vented jackets have been out of style "for at least 10-15 years."

There is an argument to be made to the effect that he is correct. In fact, I generally tend to agree with him. Just because forum group think dictates that 1/2" of sleeve should show doesn't make it an immutable Law of Eternal Style. However, vents and the amount (if any) of shirt sleeve that shows are both entirely a matter of personal taste.

gqreader239

Reaction score
Tailors arent fashionistas. they cut and sew fabric and that is all they do. However, good tailors understand fit and proportions that are popular during the time. Others can even create bespoke suits or mtm styles. However, run of the mill tailors are simply that, run of the mill.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a tailor for tailoring.

Does he do the work well?

If you know what you want and need who cares about anything else?

jcriswel

Reaction score
Advice comes from many sources. I'm surprised a tailor would offer that type of advice. Usually, a sales person says things like that. In most cases, you should educate yourself on the myriad of options when purchasing or commissioning a sports jacket or suit. Some of the guys here like peak lapels and single breasted jackets. The tailor might raise an eyebrow at that one but who is he to judge. If that's what you want, you're paying him to do what you want. However, it's good that a tailor gives you a warning when you stray too far from convention. In that case, you tell him you're aware of the conventions and this is your choice nevertheless. After all, you're the customer.

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
Seems to me like the latest forum trend becomes the definitive "law/rule" of style in the minds of some. There are many subjective elements of style and they tend to cycle in and out of popularity. A perfect example is the current trend to slimness in shirts and pants.

At the end of the day, regardless of the cut of the garment, the most important factors are quality and fit.

Chim12

Reaction score
Be comfortable with the style you like and feel is appropriate for your body type. If you find a tailor that provide good work at a good price consider yourself lucky. Quality work is the charge for the tailor, the style and personality of your clothing is yours alone to own.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I prefer no vents:
1) They just look stupid. Like your suit is torn. Sorry, you haven't even SEEN a horse since you were 6.

Don't know about you, but I've definitely sat down since I was 6. Regularly, in fact.

82-Greg

Reaction score
I suppose this is why the average guy dresses like crap. The surprising thing was how certain the tailor was about these facts. He told me that double-vented jackets have been out of style "for at least 10-15 years."

Find a new tailor--even for minor alterations.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My doctor told me to stop drinking..I don't listen to him!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose this is why the average guy dresses like crap. The surprising thing was how certain the tailor was about these facts. He told me that double-vented jackets have been out of style "for at least 10-15 years."
Actually it's your tailor who doesn't know crap. His view is nothing more than his view.

EDIT: I should have added ... I don't share his opinion on either issue.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand that side vents, central vent or no vents is a matter of taste. But I cannot understand how anybody with a bit of taste would suggest that the jacket sleeve should cover the shirt. Unless you are into this "oversized" style. But then you should also leave the label on the jacket sleeve, I believe. It is part of that look.

A colleague of mine recently purchased a Hugo Boss suit at an outlet store. I told him that the jacket sleeves were to long: they completely covered the shirt sleeves (part of the hands). He told me the salesguy had told him that this was the way a jacket should look.

oroy38

Reaction score
no, i've actually had a number of simple things done by him already. i get the sneaking suspicion that most tailors are similarly clueless.

that said, any good tailor recommendations for San Diego?

The Alterations tailors at Nordstrom in La Jolla are pretty good, but you have to really tell them what you want, otherwise they'll try to push the house style on you.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is this even an issue? Just tell the guy what you want or go somewhere else.

Sartrolliast

Reaction score
The tailor has been altering and fitting the ****** Armani suits for the last 20 years. No one has come to him with anything that is any better, and all his customers are happy with him. I'm sure he recommends a good healthy 4-fold break on the trousers, too.

It's funny here to hear his advice but it's probably good advice in his world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads