• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor in Metro Detroit

jjimison

Reaction score
Hello there! Does anyone know of a good place to have alterations made in metro detroit? I've got some decent tweed coats that I'd like to have "slimmed" but I don't know where to take them. Someplace particularly affordable would be especially nice. I'm on the east side, so I'd imagine there must be some venerable old tailor in Grosse Pointe or something, but I'm willing to drive around town if there's a better one nearby.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Reaction score
I've used Ludwik Labaj in Sterling Heights for some alterations and can recommend him on what I've had done which was some trouser waists and length, coat sleeves shortened from the shoulder, coat waist taken in, had some damage in a sport coat repaired. All were done well in a reasonable time. I've never had anything slimmed at his place though. If you use him to do so please post how he did as I have some that could use it as well.

http://ludwiksmenswear.com

jjimison

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about ludwik. He looked a bit pricey, but I haven't actually spoken with him about the cost of my alterations. That must wait until the beginning of the new week.

BerryWall

Reaction score
Vince of Artona (store name) on Mack Avenue in Grosse Pointe would be a good choice. Vince is a highly skilled tailor and very pleasant to talk to. If you saw the movie Gran Torino, Vince appeared as the tailor who fits Eastwood's in a suit. The scene was shot in Vince's store.

jjimison

Reaction score
Hey! That's great, because he's quite a bit closer. I'll check him out.

I've got a suit or two that need some pretty major work done, maybe I'll send one to ludwik and one to vince. See how they measure up.

mdg137

Reaction score
Manno Clothing in Dearborn.

No question, the best Ive been to in the Metro area-- we are at the point now that Pat remembers where my preferences deviate from standard, to the 1/8 inch.

Great turn around time, old school Italian tailors employed.

PM me if you want more info.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a guy in Birmingham across from the theatre in the downtown area. His name escapes me but he is a master tailor with his workroom visible for all to see.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 141 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 70 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 35 8.2%