• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in Hanoi - any recommendations?

MikeF

Reaction score
I picked the garments up tonight and had my wife ship them home. I can't say I'm thrilled.

With respect to the overcoat, the fabric and fit turned out better than I expected. However, he screwed up in two significant respects. First, at least the lapels, and possibly the whole coat, are fused, despite my having given him instructions in Vietnamese to produce a canvassed garment. Second, the lapels are machine-stitched about half an inch from the edge, notwithstanding a lengthy discussion (by way of pantomime) about pick-stitching them at the edge. This gives the overcoat a very casual look, and one that is in any event not at all to my liking. Also, based on the 90 seconds during which I wore the coat, the lining seems to breathe very poorly - however, I will withhold judgment until I am wearing the coat on a day when it isn't 100 degrees outside and I am not drenched in sweat.

The shirts fit well, and very similarly to the shirt I gave him to copy, with one exception: the collars are too big. I will have to wear them open-collared. Less crucially, he used a collar style different from that of the shirt I gave him to copy. On the plus side, without my having asked, he pattern matched on the sleeves, which is great. He also, as requested, made the collar stays removable.

For $150, I did fine. I may even have done well; perhaps my expectations were just too high. However, I can't say I'd use this guy again - I'd rather pay the extra bucks and get precisely what I want from W.W. Chan or Jantzen.

Thank you, in any case, for the recommendation - and for the offer to translate! I could have done far worse.

GodErnst

Reaction score
I'm a relative newb to Men's clothing, but I've been lurking for awhile and paid a visit to Duc Nhuan on 37 Hang Dau last month - so I thought I'd provide an update - at least as far as cost is concerned.

I went with several co-workers in early October.. mens' shirts were US$25/each, slacks were US$50/each and my co-worker got a blazer made for US$150.

We were all very satisfied with the fitting/cut - but the material for the shirts was a bit on the cheap side.

It appears the shop has some above-average fabrics compared to other tailors I looked at in Hanoi - but again, my opinion on these things isn't really the best.

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GodErnst
I'm a relative newb to Men's clothing, but I've been lurking for awhile and paid a visit to Duc Nhuan on 37 Hang Dau last month - so I thought I'd provide an update - at least as far as cost is concerned. I went with several co-workers in early October.. mens' shirts were US$25/each, slacks were US$50/each and my co-worker got a blazer made for US$150. We were all very satisfied with the fitting/cut - but the material for the shirts was a bit on the cheap side. It appears the shop has some above-average fabrics compared to other tailors I looked at in Hanoi - but again, my opinion on these things isn't really the best.
Duc Nhuan is probably the best tailor you can find in Hanoi. Were your slacks lined? For that price ($50 is a lot for Vietnamese) I'd go berserk on the details.

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
I picked the garments up tonight and had my wife ship them home. I can't say I'm thrilled. With respect to the overcoat, the fabric and fit turned out better than I expected. However, he screwed up in two significant respects. First, at least the lapels, and possibly the whole coat, are fused, despite my having given him instructions in Vietnamese to produce a canvassed garment. Second, the lapels are machine-stitched about half an inch from the edge, notwithstanding a lengthy discussion (by way of pantomime) about pick-stitching them at the edge. This gives the overcoat a very casual look, and one that is in any event not at all to my liking. Also, based on the 90 seconds during which I wore the coat, the lining seems to breathe very poorly - however, I will withhold judgment until I am wearing the coat on a day when it isn't 100 degrees outside and I am not drenched in sweat. The shirts fit well, and very similarly to the shirt I gave him to copy, with one exception: the collars are too big. I will have to wear them open-collared. Less crucially, he used a collar style different from that of the shirt I gave him to copy. On the plus side, without my having asked, he pattern matched on the sleeves, which is great. He also, as requested, made the collar stays removable. For $150, I did fine. I may even have done well; perhaps my expectations were just too high. However, I can't say I'd use this guy again - I'd rather pay the extra bucks and get precisely what I want from W.W. Chan or Jantzen. Thank you, in any case, for the recommendation - and for the offer to translate! I could have done far worse.
Sorry to hear it didn't turn out so well. Funny you mentioned he did pattern match, this summer I was in Hanoi and somehow he always forgot to pattern match my shirts, was thinking maybe all that upgrading he did to the shop made him go cheap on the quality.

Reaction score
I am getting my girlfriend to get me a custom designed riddler suit from eather Hanoi or Hoi An. It needs to thve the quetion marks printed onto the suit. Also the ties need one question mark embroided. I want rather good quality, if I going to do this I might as well do a good job.

So can anyone help me with the name of some shops that you know are rather cheap and will do a propper job. I would like the e-mail address of as many tailor places in Hanoi or Hoi An so that I may contact them.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads