Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor in Edmonton?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PiperInAlberta, Feb 5, 2010.

1. PiperInAlberta

PiperInAlberta Senior member

Not too sure how many of my fellow frozen Edmontonians are on here, but I'm looking for a good tailor in/around Edmonton (Alberta, Canada in case anyone's confused), preferrably one that someone here has used before.

I'm looking for one who can be trusted doing work on shirts, suits and denim (was going to stick this in the streetwear and denim forum but I figured most of the tailor experts would be in here.

2. rob

rob Senior member

Piper,

I am a fellow Albertan, although transplanted in Wisconsin. But you may consider calling up the respected men's wear shops and ask who does their tailoring. I've found them a good source here in Milwaukee.

Cheers.

P.S. Go Flames!

3. MrNiebla

MrNiebla Member

Been lurking and decided to sign up just to reply to this post.

My tailor is Forrest at Paris Tailors on 106 Street and Jasper Avenue. He's excellent. I've never taken shirts there, but he's been great with my jeans, chinos and suits. I'm an odd fit for a suit jacket and he makes RTW fit like a glove. He's one of the few tailors in town that does made to measure, as well.

4. stevejacobsit

stevejacobsit Active Member

Been lurking and decided to sign up just to reply to this post.

My tailor is Forrest at Paris Tailors on 106 Street and Jasper Avenue. He's excellent. I've never taken shirts there, but he's been great with my jeans, chinos and suits. I'm an odd fit for a suit jacket and he makes RTW fit like a glove. He's one of the few tailors in town that does made to measure, as well.

I have been to this guy before; I'm not from Edmonton, but was there for business and needed to get some work done. He did some work on my shirts; they were ok. However, anytime I get my shirts altered, I have never been happy. So I guess, he is descent. If you don't know anyone else, give him a shot.

5. arirang

arirang Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with Sam Abouhassan?

Everyone I know in Edmonton likes the HRs and Henry Singer...I haven't heard of any first hand experiences with this particular tailor despite the fact that he is quite well known in town.

6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Does anyone know of any tailor in Edmonton that can do functional sleeves on jackets? I got a sport-coat with basted sleeves, but I need to find someone who can do the buttonholes which seem to be a challenge. Suggestions?

7. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Same question here... looking for a tailor in Edmonton!

8. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Has anyone noticed that PiperInAlberta is BANNED?

Anyone have any experience with Sam Abouhassan?

Everyone I know in Edmonton likes the HRs and Henry Singer...I haven't heard of any first hand experiences with this particular tailor despite the fact that he is quite well known in town.

Sam Abouhassan is a cutsom tailor. I think the OP was asking about a tailor who specializes in alterations services only. The Op didn't mention anything about having custom clothing made for himself.

(For non-Canadians, HR is Harry Rosen, a high-end menswear retailer; same thing with Henry Singer, as well).

Does anyone know of any tailor in Edmonton that can do functional sleeves on jackets? I got a sport-coat with basted sleeves, but I need to find someone who can do the buttonholes which seem to be a challenge. Suggestions?

I'd also like to know who in Edmonton can do this.

9. unjung

unjung Senior member

Drive to Calgary and use Giovanni.

10. pponu

pponu Member

I've heard good things about Andrie Master Tailors on 121 Ave and 54 St, I've never been to them as I'm on the opposite side of Edmonton but they might be worth a try. Sam Abouhassan will not likely touch clothing other than his own, but he carries a great reputation and does bespoke suits for some of the Oilers, Alberta politicians, I priced out a bespoke suit with him before and it was north of $4000 for a decent cloth.

11. Stu42

Stu42 Member

Try John the Talior in City Center Mall. He does good work, a little on the expensive side though.

12. Jeffrey Rank

Jeffrey Rank New Member

13. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

John does handmade buttonholes, but it is retardedly expensive in our city. Sam A. is a joke, it's basically a MTM made by Samuelsohn. It IS NOT bespoke. Forrest has all but retired. Also, try Royal Tailors off of Whyte. Singer does all of the alterations in house, and Simon is very capable, but they prioritize their own sales (understandably). Maggie M on 23rd ave is also quite capable.

14. H2O

H2O Active Member

Tony The Tailor
    (780) 426-4654
    10172 104 St NW
    Edmonton, AB T5J1A7

I've had alterations done to shirts there before and they did a stellar job.

My experiences with coats have been at Europa Tailors & Clothiers at WEM (near HMV) and I haven't been disappointed.

There's also a tailor a few storefronts West from The Empress on Whyte Ave. where I've had alterations done on a coat and they were fantastic: did an excellent job, quick, cheap. I forget what they're called and can't find them online either.

15. fashionfun

fashionfun New Member

Sam Abouhassan has a fantastic store the first and only one in Edmonton to get the anniversary Zegna cloth. His suits are higher-end, and are bespoke, he's really approachable and will answer any questions you have and if he's not the tailor for you, he will recommend someone for you. A good guy.

He generally only deals with his own line, but if you are an existing client, has been known to help with some tailoring of other clothes...