• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in DC

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think my old mall tailor will be able to handle this. Anybody know a tailor who can handle a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Suit which is completely unaltered (sleeve buttons are unattached, pants unhemmed), but ancient (probably from the 1970's or 1980s, based on the price tag). I'm going to either need all new buttons - since only 4 unattached sleeve buttons total were included - or 2 to 4  matching buttons for the sleeves.  I'm also thinking of having functional buttonholes put in.  I also need to do the regular stuff (adjusting sleeves and taking in the waist on the jacket, and also taking in the waist and hemming for the pants). Would Fields English in Georgetown be the best option for this kind of work? The only previous threads mention Fields, Baytok and  Georges De Paris. I'm located in Old Town, but would go to Arlington and DC.  BTW - working buttonholes - should I do this or total waste of time?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to Fields for any complicated or tricky/special work. They've never let me down, have good suggestions, and are very pleasant to deal with as well (it's a father/son operation). As an added bonus, Sky Valet Shoes is right next door (as is Baytok, which I've never tried).

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW - working buttonholes - should I do this or total waste of time?
I'd go for them. For me, it's just out of habit, and that they look better than fake buttonholes.

boston

Reaction score
Go with the workingt buttonholes. Whenever I have skipped them I've regretted it later.

-boston

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been quite happy with the alterations done for me at Highcliffe Clothiers on 20th or 19th. The proprietor's a nice fellow and never promises more than he can deliver.

drljva

Reaction score
I don't think my old mall tailor will be able to handle this. Anybody know a tailor who can handle a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Suit which is completely unaltered (sleeve buttons are unattached, pants unhemmed), but ancient (probably from the 1970's or 1980s, based on the price tag). I'm going to either need all new buttons - since only 4 unattached sleeve buttons total were included - or 2 to 4  matching buttons for the sleeves.  I'm also thinking of having functional buttonholes put in.  I also need to do the regular stuff (adjusting sleeves and taking in the waist on the jacket, and also taking in the waist and hemming for the pants). Would Fields English in Georgetown be the best option for this kind of work? The only previous threads mention Fields, Baytok and  Georges De Paris. I'm located in Old Town, but would go to Arlington and DC.  BTW - working buttonholes - should I do this or total waste of time?
Was wondering if anyone here has tried Sun Tailoring at Tysons... The folks at NM speak highly of him, but I thought it would be worth asking if anyone here has any experiences to share. Thanks. JV

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
I highly recommend Field's in Georgetown. I've brought countless alterations to them over the years (mostly Brioni and RLPL I've found here and there) and every suit has come out perfect.

In fact, I think so highly of them that I've asked them to make a lovely navy pinstipe suit for me. My second fitting is coming up, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

As for Sun Tailors in Tysons -- I've used them once or twice, but they refused to do working button holes. "Too much trouble," they said. I would use them for run of the mill alterations, but I will always take the good stuff to Field.

If you're looking to stay closer to home (I live in Old Town as well), there is a tailor/cleaners just off Slater's Lane (not the one on the corner of the parkway) but closer to the old Dixie Pig that does good work. PM me if you're interested and I'll dig up the name. My wife has taken a number of challenging items ther eover the years and has always been pleased.

Cheers,

Hoya

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to Sun's at the suggestion of the idiots at NM. Sun Tailoring sucks. Shoddy, shabby job on simple alterations -- cuff length adjustment, sleeve length adjustment. I had to have all the work redone.

Go to Field's. I have been happy with their work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads