• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in dc

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to have some work done on a suit jacket. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tailor in the Washington, DC area, preferably in downtown DC or Northern Virginia?

Grand Arcanum

Reaction score
I think J. Press in the Farragut West section of DC provides this kind of service... www.jpressonline.com

Bags

Reaction score
I did a search for tailor recommendations in DC, and this was all I could find.  Does anyone have any good alterations tailors to recommend?

I need some basic alterations (sleeves/cuffs/waist) for a new Corneliani suit I just picked up at Filene's.  In the past I've always just used in-house tailors where I've bought my suits.  Filene's recommends Sauro's Custom Tailoring on 19th Street.  Is anyone familiar with Sauro's?  Or do you have anyone else to suggest either in DC, Arlington, or Bethesda?

By the way, as you can see, this is my first post, but it comes after quite a while of lurking.  Thanks to everyone here for all the great info I've picked up.  I had never even heard of Corneliani before coming here.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Field's on Wisconsin Avenue just above Georgetown (just past R street) is the best I think. I've also used Geoffrey Lewis on H between 14th and 15th for basic suit and jacket alterations.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to Sauro's for all my tailoring work, and my amateur eye has been satisfied with the results.  One caveat: Joe will do what you ask him to do, but is not particularly proactive with making recommendations, so it helps to know in advance what work you need to have done and/or have a body that fits RTW easily.  I wear a 40R off the rack with very few alterations, so that hasn't bothered me.  I think Field's will be more proactive, but their location (a good 10-minute walk north of Georgetown, across the street from the Social Safeway) has dissuaded me from giving them a try.

regularjoe

Reaction score
If you use Sauro, make sure you keep an eye on his work.

He knows what he's doing, but based on my casual conversation with him, he's close to retirement and reaching the casual indifference phase of his career.

He was able to restitch a buttonhole on an blazer I brought in (did it by hand). However, on another suit I brought in, he altered the sleeves (shortened), but did not redo the buttons on the left sleeve when I came in to pick it up.

I've used Lewis once and they seem decent. Lengthening the sleeves on a jacket and taking in some pants total totaled to about $50 and I was satisfied with the results.

j_adams

Reaction score
Time to resurrect a severely old thread...

I've got a RTW suit that is okay, but could really use some alterations to look just right. Particularly, I'd like to shorten the sleeves a bit and take in some of the waist on the jacket. With Mr. Fields passing away and Sauro retired, where is a Washingtonian to go?

Wick

Reaction score
Sun Tailor at Tyson's II used to do a good job for me. We moved away 2.5 years ago, so I'm not sure if Sun is still around or if he's still doing good work. He altered several pairs of trousers, a couple of jackets (w/ functional buttonholes) and two shirts (including shorter sleeves).

His accent is pretty thick and sometimes he had a little trouble understanding me. But, just be patient and keep trying, he'll ultimately understand.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Field's is still open, with the very able Will Field at the helm. I've been very happy with all the alterations he's done for me.

Robwynge

Reaction score
Christopher Kim on 20th and M street has done very nice work for me, both on pants and jackets. He also fixed up my wife's dress coat. Very detailed, like to create a trim fit.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Bump...

I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on fixing moth holes. I have a couple of nice tweed jackets that my father finally handed over to me even though he hasn't been able to fit into them in some time. They've got some small moth holes that I'd like to have taken care if though. Any dc folks with suggestions?

ny2dc

Reaction score
not sure if he can fix moth holes but check out Do's on Wisconsin in Georgetown. He is expensive but his work is on point. good luck

pack66

Reaction score
In NoVa, I've been satisfied with Best Tailoring. Fairly well recommended on Yelp, great service and friendly people. I've taken one suit there and was measured for an Indochino suit (trial run)...happy with the results. As I understand he also does bespoke. Saw the owner of a local sports team there, don't know which one (not the Skins or Nationals), fwiw.

9126 Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031(703) 641-9333

cataan

Reaction score
The best tailor you can find in NoVA is Sofio's in McLean, VA. And if you can afford a custom-made suit it's the place to go.

http://sofios.com/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads