• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in Cambridge (MA)

lomonosov

Reaction score
Could someone recommend a good tailor in Cambridge/Boston area? I need an extra button hole cut into my shirt. Thank you!

mikej77

Reaction score
Go to Jacks Tailoring. I think it is 1937 Mass Ave. He has done some great work on everything from suits to jeans for me.

puritansnowman

Reaction score
Tad, the in-house tailor at J. Press in Harvard Sq has done good, affordable work for myself and others. He is a bit slow (add 30-40% to his time estimates), but he is careful and a good guy.

horton

Reaction score
rizzo in harvard square. Joe Calutti is the tailor

Masshole

Reaction score
I've been using J&T tailoring on Pearl St. If you work in the the financial district its very convienent. He is a bit expensive but I have been very satisfied with his work.

I've heard people have been turned off because the owner Antonio was rude but i've never had a problem with it.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Rizzo of course but I think Joe is on vacation until March or something.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of work have you had done at these places. I am have a Brioni and a Kiton suit that I would like to have altered. I am looking for the best possible tailor in Boston. Is there a shop that I can trust or am I going to have to go to New York, because that would be a real pain **********. I am hoping that there is at least one amazing tailor in the Greater Boston area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
What kind of work have you had done at these places. I am have a Brioni and a Kiton suit that I would like to have altered. I am looking for the best possible tailor in Boston. Is there a shop that I can trust or am I going to have to go to New York, because that would be a real pain **********. I am hoping that there is at least one amazing tailor in the Greater Boston area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if I were you I would fly to Italy. nobody in North America has the type of skill required to work with a suit like that. people in England might come close, but really you want to go to Italy. and in Italy, you want to find the person that actually cut your suit. this will be the only person capable of working with it.

if you can find the original manufacture of the string and scissors, even better, b/c you shouldn't mix scissors

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
if I were you I would fly to Italy. nobody in North America has the type of skill required to work with a suit like that. people in England might come close, but really you want to go to Italy. and in Italy, you want to find the person that actually cut your suit. this will be the only person capable of working with it.

if you can find the original manufacture of the string and scissors, even better, b/c you shouldn't mix scissors

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I am going to book a flight to Italy as soon as I finish writing this response. Once again, thanks for the amazing advice.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Rizzo of course but I think Joe is on vacation until March or something.

Yep, I can confirm that. I think he said he'll be back late-March, early-April.

Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I am going to book a flight to Italy as soon as I finish writing this response. Once again, thanks for the amazing advice.

I think he was being sarcastic... I would recommend Rizzo tailor, but the tailor is currently on vacation.

Reaction score
ljrcustom,

Ask at Louis Boston. My contact, Paul Wade, has left the company. But somebody there will have a reference. After all, they sell the stuff.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been impressed with Jack's work. Joe @ Rizzo is hit or miss. He is obviously the go-to guy for the high end shoppers here, but I have had some bad results (along with some great ones) from him. He also can have real attitude problems, and other times he is pleasant.

Bostonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lomonosov
Could someone recommend a good tailor in Cambridge/Boston area? I need an extra button hole cut into my shirt. Thank you!

For this request, I would highly recommend Beauge. He's my favorite tailor in Boston or Cambridge and he's one of the few who makes custom shirts.

http://boston.citysearch.com/profile...terations.html

Not easy to find the first time but you'l be glad that you did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads