Tailor in Cambridge (MA)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lomonosov, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lomonosov

lomonosov New Member

Could someone recommend a good tailor in Cambridge/Boston area? I need an extra button hole cut into my shirt. Thank you!

2. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

Go to Jacks Tailoring. I think it is 1937 Mass Ave. He has done some great work on everything from suits to jeans for me.

3. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

4. puritansnowman

puritansnowman Active Member

Tad, the in-house tailor at J. Press in Harvard Sq has done good, affordable work for myself and others. He is a bit slow (add 30-40% to his time estimates), but he is careful and a good guy.

5. horton

horton Senior member

rizzo in harvard square. Joe Calutti is the tailor

6. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

7. Masshole

Masshole Member

I've been using J&T tailoring on Pearl St. If you work in the the financial district its very convienent. He is a bit expensive but I have been very satisfied with his work.

I've heard people have been turned off because the owner Antonio was rude but i've never had a problem with it.

8. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Rizzo of course but I think Joe is on vacation until March or something.

9. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

What kind of work have you had done at these places. I am have a Brioni and a Kiton suit that I would like to have altered. I am looking for the best possible tailor in Boston. Is there a shop that I can trust or am I going to have to go to New York, because that would be a real pain in the ass. I am hoping that there is at least one amazing tailor in the Greater Boston area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

What kind of work have you had done at these places. I am have a Brioni and a Kiton suit that I would like to have altered. I am looking for the best possible tailor in Boston. Is there a shop that I can trust or am I going to have to go to New York, because that would be a real pain in the ass. I am hoping that there is at least one amazing tailor in the Greater Boston area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if I were you I would fly to Italy. nobody in North America has the type of skill required to work with a suit like that. people in England might come close, but really you want to go to Italy. and in Italy, you want to find the person that actually cut your suit. this will be the only person capable of working with it.

if you can find the original manufacture of the string and scissors, even better, b/c you shouldn't mix scissors

11. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

if I were you I would fly to Italy. nobody in North America has the type of skill required to work with a suit like that. people in England might come close, but really you want to go to Italy. and in Italy, you want to find the person that actually cut your suit. this will be the only person capable of working with it.

if you can find the original manufacture of the string and scissors, even better, b/c you shouldn't mix scissors

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I am going to book a flight to Italy as soon as I finish writing this response. Once again, thanks for the amazing advice.

12. stant62

stant62 Senior member

Rizzo of course but I think Joe is on vacation until March or something.

Yep, I can confirm that. I think he said he'll be back late-March, early-April.

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I am going to book a flight to Italy as soon as I finish writing this response. Once again, thanks for the amazing advice.

I think he was being sarcastic... I would recommend Rizzo tailor, but the tailor is currently on vacation.

13. 89826

89826 Senior member

ljrcustom,

Ask at Louis Boston. My contact, Paul Wade, has left the company. But somebody there will have a reference. After all, they sell the stuff.

14. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I have been impressed with Jack's work. Joe @ Rizzo is hit or miss. He is obviously the go-to guy for the high end shoppers here, but I have had some bad results (along with some great ones) from him. He also can have real attitude problems, and other times he is pleasant.

15. Bostonian

Bostonian Well-Known Member

Could someone recommend a good tailor in Cambridge/Boston area? I need an extra button hole cut into my shirt. Thank you!

For this request, I would highly recommend Beauge. He's my favorite tailor in Boston or Cambridge and he's one of the few who makes custom shirts.

http://boston.citysearch.com/profile...terations.html

Not easy to find the first time but you'l be glad that you did.