• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor for Working Buttonholes in Dallas

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a tailor to do working machine-made buttonholes in Dallas. I've used Harry's, but I didn't like how when I simply asked how much it would cost, he decided to take my jacket, cut off all the buttons to show me how he decides a price based on whether there's enough room from surgeon cuffs (why couldn't he have just looked without cutting the buttons off?)... so that I couldn't disagree to have him do the work... Then he put all the buttons on a safety pin and stabbed it through the flip of my pocket... on a cotton jacket
facepalm.gif

southbound35

Reaction score
Greger, please look at a map of Texas and reconsider the usefulness of your suggestion.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cantu Tailors in Dallas gets pretty good reviews. They do some custom work in addition to alterations so I would think that working buttonholes would be well within their capabilities.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Chris Despos has a shop in Dallas. I'm not sure if he'll only build you a suit or if he would alter something you already own, but he and his people definitely have the skills you require.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Cantu Tailors in Dallas gets pretty good reviews. They do some custom work in addition to alterations so I would think that working buttonholes would be well within their capabilities.

Only does hand made buttonholes at $15 per button which I'll be doing with them on another suit, but I wanted a cheaper alternative for this sport coat.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Harry's Tailor Shop.

I'm in Louisiana, and I bring my jackets there when I'm in town. He ships them to me when he's done.

HIGHLY recommended.

You've never had an experience like what I had? And why is he so special? I didn't think the working buttonholes on my jacket were done that well... explain.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Greger, please look at a map of Texas and reconsider the usefulness of your suggestion.

If you own one of these it is less than an hours drive.
2012 Pagani Huayra
2010-12-12-Pagani-07-605m8m9m2-2_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
You've never had an experience like what I had? And why is he so special? I didn't think the working buttonholes on my jacket were done that well... explain.

I hadn't read your entire post. I posted my recommendation based on the title.

I probably would have been somewhat set back if what you said is true. However, I wouldn't really care about that is his work is good, which it is.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, he only accept cash or check.. no credit cards. Tax evasion anyone?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Also, he only accept cash or check.. no credit cards. Tax evasion anyone?

Or he could just not want to have to pay 3% in fees to the credit card companies.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

I used Cantu tailors for awhile and had poor results everytime. I would ask for no break in my pants and I would always have a double break. I had about 6 pairs done over a couple of months and none were ever correct. The final straw was when I took in a tuxedo to have a button that had popped off sewn on as well as the vent sewn up. He said it would only take 1 week to have all of the work done, I called 2 weeks later to see if it was done and was told it was so I went to pick it up. When I got there they told me it wasn't done and to come back in an hour, so I did and it still wasn't done until an hour after that. There were a few other things that were poor service and I eventually stopped going there.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go to Harry's then. You seem opposed to their establishment for reasons that aren't important to me. I only care about quality work. You seem turned off by cash/check payments and the fact that he removed buttons from a sleeve that you wanted working cuffs on. Who cares?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just go to Saks. I've had the one in LA do buttonholes on jackets I didn't buy there without issue (they just take longer). Can't remember if it's a higher price or not, but was happy with the work. They were done by machine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads