Tailor for suits Alteration in Sydney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by flexiflex, Jan 7, 2013.

1. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

Hello everyone,

Joined the forum yesterday and this is the first question I post.

I bought two OTR suits from MJ Bale in Sydney during the X'mas / NY special for 2 suits for a grand. The material feels good and I have been told they are all 100% Australian Marina wool. I paid another $100 for the extra trouser for each suit so 4 in total.

Two suits are the exact same cut. As you would expect the fit isn't perfect and there are a couple of adjustments to be made to make it look smart on me. I have paid MJ Bale to make some really minor adjustments such as take in the back shoulder a tiny bit and shorten the length of the trousers. To my surprise they have done a really bad job as all the length were way too long when I pick up the suits. They kept rushing me out (maybe because it was 5:15 pm on Sunday) and assured me the measures of all 4 pants would be identical. I regret I didn't try them all on in the shops because I later discovered back home some trousers are longer than others... Also as mentioned I need more alterations to make to suit fit me better, things like:

- the width of the trousers are a bit to wide so I need to take in a bit
    - Trousers need to be shorten again!!
    - the length of the jacket is too long
    - the jacket can be further slim in the waist area

I think the cut is a Italian style, with minimal padding on the shoulder. I prefer a slim style suits. Both suits are mainly for work purpose.

So here are some of the questions I have. I would appreciate some input and comment:
    - How's the quality of MJ Bale suits? What people think of their cloth material? they claimed they are 100% Australian Marina wool. They don't tell you if they are super 120 or something like that, just 100% wool...
    - Most importantly, can someone recommend me a good tailor that can do a good job on suit alteration in Sydney without charging too much. I really don't know how much I should expect to pay for jobs described above.
    - Should I just take it to the alteration place in some major shopping centre? I am close to "Looksmart" in Chatswood Chase.

I know this question has been asked in the past a couple of times but based on what I have searched some of the replies were quite dated. Some updated advice would be great!

Thanks again and cheers

2. boff

boff Senior member

I just bought my second MJ Bale suit. For $500 it's hard to beat.

And I am in the same boat alterations wise. Be careful of alterations shops. You need a tailor. I've had suits butchered at the cheaper places.

I am going to try this guy next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/128976/m-r-tailors-alterations-in-sydney

3. boff

boff Senior member

Do you mean for the suit or the alterations?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

4. boff

boff Senior member

I dropped my suit in to M&R today. Mr. Haddad really seemed to know his stuff. He immediately saw how one of my shoulders drops and how to fix it without resorting to padding.
    $230 for a fair bit of work (cuff trousers, shorten sleeve, balance back, fix shoulder, take in sides). Pick up in a week. I'll check back in then.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've heard good things about his alteration service. I think you're in good hands.

6. swirlyclouds

swirlyclouds Member

Unfortunately I have yet to find a good place for alterations on the lower north shore, especially Chatswood. Stay away!

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

You'll need to head into the city to find some good places.

8. boff

boff Senior member

I got my suit back from M&R. Very happy and would recommend without hesitation. But it's a winter suit so I'm going to have to wait a few months. I will try to get round to posting a fit pic though.