• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor for Measurements in Philly

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey MC,

So the past few days I've been going around Philly looking for a tailor to take my measurements and haven't had much luck. Generally there's a bit of a language barrier between me and the tailor or after asking I find out that they do don't measurements. Two tailors that I got measured by yielded pretty different measurements as well, plus they were unsure how to measure the shoulder slope. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a tailor to go and get measured within the area whose measurements I can rely on? Generally looking for someone either in CC or UC, likewise I can make the trip out to Delaware or Chester county if necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You merely want a tailor to take measurements so that you can go on line and use them there? That is hardly being fair to a tailor nor is it reasonable to expect them to do so and to waste their time. They exist to make and sell garments not to help people avoid using their services.

What you also fail to understand that each tailor will have his own way of assessing your body (shoulder slope etc ), posture which works for him and which may not not work for others. You can measure chest/waist and have someone do inside leg for you but there is simply no such thing as a standard set of measurement of 'figuration' that can be carried from tailor to tailor.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most tailors would do so for a fee, especially ones who are mainly providing alterations and not mainly mtm clothing. As for the sizing differences, that's why I hoped to find a tailor with whom I could adequately communicate with to express what exactly it was in wanted.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's