• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor and Tailoring supplies in Lower East Side

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I need to buy a couple of zippers and was wondering if there was a shop somewhere in the LES/East Village/Soho area where I could purchase them. I know there are a lot of "tailors" in the LES, so i would imagine that there would have to be at least one such shop.

Also, regarding these "tailors," what are the general opinions? I'm referring to the shops that line the streets and they are super cheap - $3 to hem a pair of pants and done in an hour. Are these places competant enough for slightly more difficult alterations? Can anyone recommend an alternative in the area?

Thanks,

Dan

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't think anyone or any thread has made a comprehensive list of good tailors in NYC - such as those who can put on sleeve buttonholes from suits bought online.

Such a list would be really appreciated.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
In tailoring and other services generally, you get what you pay for.

I am in Williamsburg Brooklyn but lived on the LES last year.

I recall a giant tailoring emporium on Allen St, but can't recall the name. All PR and Dominican neighborhoods have them. I'm sure the Chinese neighborhoods do as well; I just didn't check out their tailoring places. On the higher end pricewise and quality wise on the LES, there is Ramon on Mott just about Houston. THat staff is also Dominican, as are the folks at Wilfred, my current tailor, on 23rd.

The little neighborhood places are good for simple things, esp if any bad result can be easily corrected; for hemming a pair of pants, for ex. But often if you want the pant seam not just fastened but sewn well and with a taped seam so as not to catch on anything, you'll have to go to a pricier place, usually.

To have it done right and done right the first time is what you'll be paying for. Only you know what your time is worth.
Mack, thanks for the input. How are Ramon and Wilfred? Will they do out of the ordinary alterations? Can you give me some price point examples? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steinlauf & Stoller
39th Street between 7th and 8th
everything you need

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steinlauf & Stoller
39th Street between 7th and 8th
everything you need
Thank you - I will try them this week.

stache

Reaction score
Try to go early in the day. It turns into a zoo later on.

juuceman

Reaction score
Mack, thanks for the input.  How are Ramon and Wilfred?  Will they do out of the ordinary alterations?  Can you give me some price point examples?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
I've used Wilfred for a year or two, since right after they moved onto 23rd and i've been pretty happy with them..

they're a full service tailor shop and will do everything from the basic hems on up to custom fully canvassed suits at an entry point of about $2,000..

i've used them to alter suits and they're pretty good, once or twice needed some tweaking, which they happily did.. (a) they're busy and it can take up to two weeks to have some things done; (b) they've recently put a sign up that you need an appointment to be fitted by Wilfred.. not that he's the one doing the actual tailoring, but i've used him and his man, and everything's been fine..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads