1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor and Tailoring supplies in Lower East Side

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amirrorcrackd, Jan 30, 2005.

1. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

I need to buy a couple of zippers and was wondering if there was a shop somewhere in the LES/East Village/Soho area where I could purchase them. I know there are a lot of "tailors" in the LES, so i would imagine that there would have to be at least one such shop.

Also, regarding these "tailors," what are the general opinions? I'm referring to the shops that line the streets and they are super cheap - $3 to hem a pair of pants and done in an hour. Are these places competant enough for slightly more difficult alterations? Can anyone recommend an alternative in the area?

Thanks,

Dan

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I still don't think anyone or any thread has made a comprehensive list of good tailors in NYC - such as those who can put on sleeve buttonholes from suits bought online.

Such a list would be really appreciated.

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

Mack, thanks for the input. How are Ramon and Wilfred? Will they do out of the ordinary alterations? Can you give me some price point examples? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Steinlauf & Stoller
    39th Street between 7th and 8th
    everything you need

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Thank you - I will try them this week.

6. stache

stache Senior Member

Try to go early in the day. It turns into a zoo later on.

7. juuceman

juuceman Senior Member

I've used Wilfred for a year or two, since right after they moved onto 23rd and i've been pretty happy with them..

they're a full service tailor shop and will do everything from the basic hems on up to custom fully canvassed suits at an entry point of about $2,000..

i've used them to alter suits and they're pretty good, once or twice needed some tweaking, which they happily did.. (a) they're busy and it can take up to two weeks to have some things done; (b) they've recently put a sign up that you need an appointment to be fitted by Wilfred.. not that he's the one doing the actual tailoring, but i've used him and his man, and everything's been fine..