• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailor Alter Rise of Pants?

jpbova

Reaction score
can a good tailor alter the rise of pants. I bought 2 new suits, and the rise of the waist is to high. I would like a slimmer, lower rise, and less conservative look.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Correct way to do this is to remove the waistband, cut off the amount of cloth you want to lower the rise by, resize the waist on the trouser to your waist size and sew the waistband on again. All the pockets will be closer to the waistband, If you have 1/4 top pockets, the opening may get smaller. Kind of a big deal but can be done.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To an extent but involves removing waste band and recutting. Pockets may get too close to the waste band when re attached.

In future don't buy trousers that you do not like and hope to buy your way out of trouble.

Matt S

Reaction score
Return the suits and buy new ones. It's very easy to find suits with low-rise trousers these days. Where did you get your suits? I can never find a rise long enough for me.

jpbova

Reaction score
I have 2 calvin klein suits. One I'm wearing for my wedding the other I'm wearing for the rehearsal dinner. I got them from a family friend that owns a men's clothing store at cost, so returning them really isn't an option. The rise in the pants is 12 inches in the front. I measured my other pants and the rise is 10 to 11 inches, however, the waist looks so much lower on my other pants just by the eyeball test.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Altering rise also involve changing the zipper...

Also measuring rise is so much easier measuring outseam minus the inseam.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had it done once. It was expensive and it affects the fit in other ways. I wouldn't buy a suit expecting to alter the rise.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have the rise altered when buying a suit.
For me it is necessary. I am not comfortable with more than a 10.5 "
rise. I am lucky that I have a superb tailor, who other SF members
also use. Even then, it sometimes takes a few go arounds to get
it right. I have two pairs of bespoke trousers made by a now-retired
local tailor. Needless to say, they fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Waiting to get a pair of pants back. The alterations cost close to a hundred dollars, so hopefully she does an excellent job.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.