• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tag Heuer watch decision

Plasdom

Reaction score
I really like #1 with a leather strap. Probably not the popular opinion

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allanb10

I just wanted some expert opinions about these watches.

Well, then you've come to the wrong place. Try here .

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two toned watches are generally frowned upon on ANY forum. They try to be a bit too versatile, IMO, and never quite achieve either a casual or dress mood. I'm also leery about the appearance of two toned watches with three or four years worth of moderate wear. Any contrast in discoloration is all the more noticeable.

Secondly, I highly recommend you take a free afternoon after classes are finished and make a visit to a local watch store. Tourneau is fine for these purposes. Smaller independents that have gently used pieces is probably an ever better bet. Spend some time shopping around--for purchases around or over 1k it took me the better of five months before I finalized my decision on two or three different pieces and priced the used market so I could maximize my dollar.

If my advice seems like too much work, and you really don't care about the differences between a mechanical and quartz, I suggest buying the Swiss Army you originally highlighted. Those Tag Heuers highlighted in your links retail for around $1100 street price for the Carreras and a bit less for the Aquaracer.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the first one. I'd get it.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in middle school I had a similar two tone Tag. Back then I thought it was pretty cool, but I either lost it or someone stole it, and I'm secretly a bit glad that that was the last two-tone watch I've ever worn.

allanb10

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm not sure, but there's something about the two tone that I am sort of impartial to, like its trying to be something it can't, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, The price for the s/s black face automatic carrera is right in my price range and seems is a fairly classy/casual watch. Do you guys think the black face is more versatile and classy?

And in response to my questioning on the aquaracer earlier, preceding that watch I would never have considered getting a quartz movement watch. Realizing that the Swiss Army was something that I did not know about I tried finding some quick alternative.

But I think tomorrow I am going to go to Reeds and try on the carrera.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me there are only two styles of watch worthy of note from Tag Heuer: the Monza and the old S/el. (The S/el's replacement, the Link, is to me a travesty of design.) Everything else they sell is just a(n overpriced) watch.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
For me there are only two styles of watch worthy of note from Tag Heuer: the Monza and the old S/el. (The S/el's replacement, the Link, is to me a travesty of design.) Everything else they sell is just a(n overpriced) watch.

i'm not a big fan of tag myself.
allan, check out the timezone link. even if you like the watch, make sure it's not an impulse buy. that being said, the black one's not bad. don't care much for the bling bling version.

allanb10

Reaction score
Is this a good watch for formal/casual settings and semi dressy settings? I understand that heuers are not for everybody, but is this a good looking watch (the black face one)? - keeping in mind that I don't want something too dressy since I am a college student and want to wear it on a daily basis. Is this watch, approx 1100, worth it, considering the brand and styling?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you really like the tag carrera, go for it. they're not necessarily the WIS' choice, but its still solidly made. i'd also go for the brown leather strap on this.

Lamo

Reaction score
white dials preferable but it's fine. and yes, get a leather strap. if you like it, that's all that matters. if you need reassurance, it looks nice.

allanb10

Reaction score
do you think that the leather strap would make the watch too dressy for the college scene?

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allanb10
do you think that the leather strap would make the watch too dressy for the college scene?

you can always buy seperate straps. you really should be posting this in the timezone forum. they can tell you a lot more.

allanb10

Reaction score
Right right. Does this black face carrera seem like an ok decision for a stylish watch on the college scene?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads