1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tag heuer carrera

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Jan 9, 2005.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

my current watch is a swatch 'race car driver' model ($60) and i'm looking to upgrade. my apologies to the watch guys who may hate this question. i like the look of the tag 'carrera' shown below but don't care to spend the money for one. does anyone know of a similar looking watch for under, say, $200? Tag Carrera I also like the 'monza' if anyone knows of something similar. tia

2. anorak

anorak Active Member

I have been told that the Orvis watches are built well. They have a few that look somewhat like the carrera.

3. matadorpoeta

thanks for the tip but oris watches cost over $1,000. i found 3 watches i like at swatch.com they are all between $110-$120, so i might get all 3 eventually. (this thread was not an ad for swatch. i swear.) [​IMG]

4. anorak

anorak Active Member

I am talking about Orvis, not Oris. They are in the $75-$200 range.

I don't really know anything about them but have been told that they hold up well.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

There are several online sites that sell knockoff watches, but I don't know which ones can be trusted, and which ones should be stayed away from.

I'm looking for a knock-off of a Panerai. I love the look, but no way can I afford the price. And, quite frankly, no one around where I live would even know what Panerai is, so I'm not worried about the 'show-off' factor, like a Rolex would bring. Any ideas?

6. matadorpoeta

okay thanks. i looked at the orvis watches but i like the swatches better.

versaceman, are you looking for a counterfeit or just a similar looking watch?

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

(anorak @ 09 Jan. 2005, 6:23) I am talking about Orvis, not Oris. They are in the $75-$200 range. I don't really know anything about them but have been told that they hold up well.
    okay thanks. i looked at the orvis watches but i like the swatches better. versaceman, are you looking for a counterfeit or just a similar looking watch?
    Matador, I'd prefer a replica, since some 'similar' Panerai's just had a similar case shape and lacked many of the details that I like. I saw some 'similar' Panerais on ebay for around $200 for an automatic, and replicas with an automatic movement go for about the same price on websites.

8. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

If you are looking for replicas here is a Tag Carrera Chronograph. There are some Panerai knock-offs too. Oh, wait two more: 1, 2

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Don't buy a fake. Here's a watch that I literally ordered today. Under $250 after discount: http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/H64455533.asp It is 100% Swiss made automatic with a decent ETA movement, has a decent heritage as a Hamilton, looks great and keeps very accurate time. From what I can see, one of the best values on the market. If you need dual time, this more expensive Hamilton is a beautiful option--unfortunately too big for my wrist or I would have ordered it instead. http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/H77615333.asp Montecristo

10. matadorpoeta

i'm not interested in a fake. i just want something with a similar look to the carrera. i don't know much about watches but i'm guessing the biggest difference between these and the higher tier watches is the quartz, rather than automatic, movement. what do you guys think? could i do much better for a little more money? is quartz less accurate? gangleader blustery wildly

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Quartz watches are typically more accurate than automatics. Any of those watches you are discussing will be perfectly functional and if you like the look, go for it.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

VersaceMan - Have a look at Erken . Some big watches, and some of the cases are very Panerai-like. They're good quality with ETA movements in the automatics. They sell direct on Ebay for prices much lower than on the site. Erken used to make two models which were clearly homages to Panerai, and they still come up on Ebay.

13. matadorpoeta

i've had my current swatch for about 3 years with no problems at all--still using the original battery. i just thought there might be something i don't know that would make a big difference. here are the 2 watches i've ordered: "maginficent simplicity" 'wildly' i'm considering exchanging the 'wildly' for this one: 'windfall' which do you gentlemen prefer?

14. benchan

benchan Senior member

Paneria look alike: [​IMG]

15. benchan

benchan Senior member

Just for fun, a Rolex lookalike from the same brand [​IMG]

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Matador - That first watch is great looking.

18. DPDNYC

DPDNYC Active Member

I bought a replica Panerai Luminor GMT with automatic movement off ebay for about $240 after shipping (Warning to you all: Stay off eBay when drunk.). The watch looks pretty sharp, though a side-by-side comparison with the real thing will reveal a few minor differences. And the leather band it came with was kind of crappy.

I haven't worn it yet and was thinking of putting it back up on eBay. Are there any sort of rules against selling replicas, assuming that you don't represent the item as the genuine article?

19. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I think it's OK to sell a replica watch as long as it's stated that it is a replica.
    There does seem to be a lot of internet sites selling replica watches, bags, sunglasses etc.

20. VMan

VMan Senior member

Actually, it is illegal to sell fake items on ebay, even if you state that they are replicas. The various legal issues that ebay would face for letting members sell counterfeit items prevents them from doing so.

DPD,

How significant are the differences between your replica, and the real thing?