• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tackiest Holidays.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I happen to find most holidays tacky. They are probably intrinsically tacky.

Halloween is an excuse for people with not much taste to dress up in egregiously outrageous costumes and generally act the fool. I'd imagine that not many women would enjoy being referred to as Sluts in their daily lives, and yet they mince about in sexy nurse, what have you outfits. Halloween is also the perfect day for the ubiquitous "retro-centric" or Fedora Lounge/Classic Style type of individual.

Christmas is a whole level of tacky. It's Elvis relaxing at home tacky.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I shall return to the solitude of my parents' basement post-haste.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I happen to find most holidays tacky. They are probably intrinsically tacky.

Halloween is an excuse for people with not much taste to dress up in egregiously outrageous costumes and generally act the fool. I'd imagine that not many women would enjoy being referred to as Sluts in their daily lives, and yet they mince about in sexy nurse, what you outfits. Halloween is also the perfect day for the ubiquitous "retro-centric" or Fedora Lounge/Classic Style type of individual.

Christmas is a whole level of tacky. It's Elvis relaxing at home tacky.

You don't have much fun, do you?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been to Graceland? I think you would very much enjoy it.

ccc123

Reaction score
Regarding Graceland, I'm a fan of his music and his voice, but it took allot of money to make that place look so cheap. To each his own, money doesn't care who owns it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always found the tackiest holiday to be "Grandparents Day." I mean, you take them out of "the Home" and out in public, put Granny in a powdered blue jumpsuit or a pair of slacks, and let her nibble as much as she wants from the Shoney's Buffet while asking you questions about relatives who died in 1948. And, of course, you get to dump her off back in front by 2:00 in the afternoon, just before Bingo.

Now THAT'S classy.

A close followup would be Easter. Far, far too many pastels.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halloween magnifies, illuminates, and broadcasts the bad taste of many people. I agree it's the tackiest holiday -- by far. There are no rivals. Well, maybe St. Patrick's Day in some areas. For this & other reasons, I also despise Halloween. It's easily my least favorite holiday. I celebrate when it's over.

Christmas is not inherently tacky. There are many ways to enjoy a long Christmas holiday in good style.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
You don't have much fun, do you?

+1 from where is all this cynicsm born?

Holidays are not tacky. How a person may choose to celebrate said holiday might be tacky in the eyes of some.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One would imagine any time spent in Las Vegas would be extremely tacky. I flew over it and that was quite enough.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until last night, I really was indifferent to holidays in general. To each his own. That is, until two grown men dressed as 'superheroes' stopped in front of our car and started hollering and whatnot and basically impeding us (at a green light). Good job, arseholes.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a not-tacky way to celebrate Halloween? I'm curious. I've never seen it.

Halloween looks to me like a holiday that is tacky by design. It's all about bad taste. A few fans of Halloween celebrate bad taste on one day -- in part, as a way to emphasize their good taste the rest of the year. And most fans of Halloween use the date as an excuse to let loose with all the the tackiness they've been bitterly repressing the rest of the year. It's a festival of tackiness

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I always dread Christmas. I absolutely hate it. The decorations and lights are tacky and the piped music is even worse. When I first came to Japan, I hoped to escape it but no such luck. Plus, the Japanese come out in droves to photograph the huge gaudy Christmas trees that various big companies sponsor. No doubt if all those millions of photos were collected in one place, they would make the most banal display imaginable.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Halloween here has taken on a whole new form. Maybe because it's on a Friday this year?

1) The train station to the city was absolutely empty. Apparently no one commuted to work on Friday
2) The train schedules were running "extra trains for the Holiday"
3) My friends were getting off work early "due to the holiday"
4) My buddy's gym was "closed for the holiday"

I lived downtown Chicago for 3 years and here in the suburbs for 2. I've never once seen Halloween treated any different than a regular day. Until this year.

I'm all for holidays but Halloween? Really?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although I did go trick or treating as a kid, I've come to not like the notion of kids going around seemingly begging for candy. To me, this aspect of Halloween is tacky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads